Recipe Baja Fish Tacos

caseydog

Local time
10:08 AM
This is a recipe for very basic Baja Fish Tacos. You can dress them up all you want, but these are the basics that you will find in a Baja Fish Taco.

Ingredients (three tacos)

1 large filet of flaky white fish, such as cod, tilapia, snapper, haddock, etc.
Kosher salt -- to taste
Cayenne pepper powder (or similar)
1 cup AP flour
1 TBSN baking powder
1 bottle of good cerveza (beer)
3 fresh flour tortillas (homemade or store bought)
1 small cabbage thinly sliced
1 lime, quartered
1 bottle Mexican crema (substitute sour cream thinned with whole milk to pourable)

Instructions

Prepare batter. Mix flour, baking powder and beer to make a pancake batter density batter.

Cut your fish into strips, no more than 1 inch thick.
Season your fish with salt and cayenne pepper.
Dip your fish sticks in the batter, let excess batter run off, and carefully lower into 350F neutral oil (I use peanut oil).

Toast your 3 tortillas in a very hot pan. It should take less than one minute per side. They should puff up and lightly brown, but stay pliable.

Building

Place one or two fried fish sticks on each tortilla.

Top with cabbage, squeeze lime juice over taco, and drizzle some Mexican crema on top.

NOTE: I added some home grown jalapeños to mine, but that is optional. Cabbage and lime are the two things that are not optional.

Fold and enjoy.

FishTacos001.jpg

CD

Last edited:
This is a recipe for very basic Baja Fish Tacos. You can dress them up all you want, but these are the basics that you will find in a Baja Fish Taco.

Ingredients (three tacos)

1 large filet of flaky white fish, such as cod, tilapia, snapper, haddock, etc.
Kosher salt -- to taste
Cayenne pepper powder (or similar)
1 cup AP flour
1 TBSN baking powder
1 bottle of good cerveza (beer)
3 fresh flour tortillas (homemade or store bought)
1 small cabbage thinly sliced
1 lime, quartered
1 bottle Mexican crema (substitute sour cream thinned with whole milk to pourable)

Instructions

Prepare batter. Mix flour, baking powder and beer to make a pancake batter density batter.

Cut your fish into strips, no more than 1 inch thick.
Season your fish with salt and cayenne pepper.
Dip your fish sticks in the batter, let excess batter run off, and carefully lower into 350F neutral oil (I use peanut oil).

Toast your 3 tortillas in a very hot pan. It should take less than one minute per side. They should puff up and lightly brown, but stay pliable.

Building

Place one or two fried fish sticks on each tortilla.

Top with cabbage, squeeze lime juice over taco, and drizzle some Mexican crema on top.

NOTE: I added some home grown jalapeños to mine, but that is optional. Cabbage and lime are the two things that are not optional.

Fold and enjoy.

View attachment 71415

CD

Gorgeous photo! They look very good indeed.

Back
Top Bottom