• Grated Parmigiano or Pecorino cheese, to taste
  • Evoo oil, 2 tbsp
  • a sprig of fresh parsley
  • some leaves of fresh thyme
  • turmeric powder, a pinch
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Method

Start by pre-heating the oven to 180 C.

Remove the first outer layer of the onions and let them blanch in a saucepan with salted water for 5 mins or until they become soft.

Finely chop the clove of garlic, add it to the chopped parsley along with some thyme leaves, a pinch of salt and pepper and a pinch of turmeric powder. Mix them together.

Now cover each onion with this mix and put it in a oily baking dish, side by side to each other.

Add the Evoo oil, a bit of breadcrumbs and some grated Parmigiano on top of each other onions.

Baking to 180 ° for 20 minutes.

During the last 5 minutes of cooking, turn on the oven grill so that the surface becomes au gratin.

Let them cool at room temperature before serving.

They look great.

I've many times tried to make baked onions - but somehow although they look good, mine seems to be not meltingly cooked inside. I don't mean they are raw - but they are not pleasingly soft.

I notice you state 20 mins which is less time than I use (at same oven temperature). Maybe I misunderstand how baked onions should be, texture wise...

They look great.

I've many times tried to make baked onions - but somehow although they look good, mine seems to be not meltingly cooked inside. I don't mean they are raw - but they are not pleasingly soft.

I notice you state 20 mins which is less time than I use (at same oven temperature). Maybe I misunderstand how baked onions should be, texture wise...

They should be soft all the way through. Maybe you are using onions that are too big for the recipe time/temp?

Back
Top Bottom