Baked sub sandwiches

Sweetkymom

Veteran
Local time
8:29 PM
Every now and then, its a nice change to have a baked sub over a cold sub. What is your favorite baked sandwich? What all does it entail?

I personally love my ham and cheese sub. Its ham & cheese baked on a Italian bread loaf. Once baked, I open up and add mayo, lettuce and tomato. I absolutely love my sandwich!

Every now and then, its a nice change to have a baked sub over a cold sub. What is your favorite baked sandwich? What all does it entail?

I personally love my ham and cheese sub. Its ham & cheese baked on a Italian bread loaf. Once baked, I open up and add mayo, lettuce and tomato. I absolutely love my sandwich!

Yummy, yummy, yummy. I am right there with you Sweetkymom, minus the mayonnaise. If you can, I would like some onion and sweet pepper added to the mix. I am also happy to bake everything in the sandwich.That way the only thing I am left to open up is my mouth to dive into it:laugh:. Even with all the cooking I did today I would welcome one right now.

Most subs I eat I tend to prefer cold or at least room temperature. Hot subs are only good with limited choices in my opinion (Chicken Parm or Meatball Subs) - stuff you know you need a toasted bun for. Anything chock full of meat (aside from steak subs, I like them both way toasted or non) should be cold or room temp.

Fry chopped chicken thigh, chopped smoked bacon, a little shallot and garlic in olive oil, season, add a little Dijon mustard and stir in. Fill the roll with the mixture and a sprinkle of cheese. Wrap tightly in foil and bake for 10 minutes. Works well in a crusty baguette as well as a sub.

Fry chopped chicken thigh, chopped smoked bacon, a little shallot and garlic in olive oil, season, add a little Dijon mustard and stir in. Fill the roll with the mixture and a sprinkle of cheese. Wrap tightly in foil and bake for 10 minutes. Works well in a crusty baguette as well as a sub.

This sounds amazingly awesome. I'm going to try this when I procure some more money. I believe your method for foil wrap can also be applied to many different meats (ala hobo-patties) - Switch the meat from chicken to beef, the sauces to bbq and you could easily just have prepared a steak meal. Mmm. Food.

I only like hot sandwiches if they involve cheese. Anything else gets too dry and the bun gets too crunchy. At least with melted cheese, things are moistened somewhat. I'm not keen on salad in hot sandwiches either, I find the leaves quickly wilt and go soggy.

I'm not even a vegetarian, but one of my favorite sandwiches as Penn Station is their veggie sandwich. If you're not familiar with Penn Station, they mainly sell Philly Cheese Steaks, fresh cut fries, and fresh squeezed lemonade. Their Philly Cheese Steaks are fantastic, but their veggie sandwich is really awesome too. A friend of mine, who is a vegetarian, actually got me hooked on them. They're pretty simple too - it's just a hard roll, sort of like a french bread. Inside it they smear mayo, and put sauteed mushrooms and hot banana peppers, then top it with Provolone cheese, and I think a little Parmesan too, and a sprinkle of herbs, then roast the whole thing under a broiler until the cheese is all melty. It's definitely not health food, considering all the mayo and cheese on it, but it's oh so good, lol.

Another favorite of mine was Quizno's Monterey Chicken sandwich. They took it off their menu several years ago, but many of the locations would still make it for me if I asked them to. I forget what was all on it, I think it was swiss cheese and bacon maybe, along with the chicken lunch meat. But what made it really good was this roasted red pepper sauce they put on it, that was incredible. I wish they would sell something like that in the grocery store. I've tried making something like it at home but I cannot seem to get as concentrated a flavor as the sauce at Quiznos is.

Back
Top Bottom