Baking cakes in the microwave

Froz

Veteran
Local time
10:44 PM
I'm curious, have any of you ever baked a cake using your microwave? I had heard from various sources (online & IRL) of people who would do so and obtain amazing results, but was a little skeptical at first.
One year ago though, I finally decided to give it a shot and indeed the results were jaw-dropping LOL
I'm almost a shamed to admit it, but the chocolate cakes I now bake using it are among the best I've ever made; their texture is so soft and spongy while being perfectly cooked...and the microwave cooking doesn't alter the taste at all, on the contrary!

I've never made a microwave cake but am interested in making one just to see what the craze is all about. Do you have a recipe to share?

I have never heard of baking a cake in the microwave. This is something that I might have to really try because it sounds interesting. Hopefully mine will turn out good but what is the max time that you have to set the microwave to?

I've tried it before and I agree that it does come out surprisingly soft and spongy although it's not the type that I like. There is a subtle dryness to it that I can't get over. I might just be doing it wrong though.

I see what you are referring to as far as the subtle dryness is concerned; it happened to me once or twice too at the beginning, but this is how I fixed the problem; I noticed that around the end of the recommended cooking time often the top of the cake still appeared to be humid so I would naturally add an extra minute or 2 ,in fact even though it still appears to be wet, the cake itself is actually already perfectly cooked, and on those occasions by trying to "finish it off", I was only creating that specific problem myself!
Basically , even though the cake still appears to be humid, test it by sticking a knife into it, if the blade comes out dry, do not attempt to cook any longer as it's good to go :wink:

For those interested, here's a nice chocolate cake recipe which always tends to lead to an awesome result when I bake it in the microwave:

Ingredients:

-125g of chocolate
- 1/2 a packet of baking powder
- 100g of sugar
- 50g of flour (not more)
- 100g of butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 big spoons of sour cream

(I bake mine at max temperature for around 6/7 min (if needed I then add an extra minute or two) )

I've seen recipes, but I've never tried it. I'm not sure what Mary Berry or Delia Smith would say about it either. I like to smell my cakes cooking and for that's part of the experience which I don't think you get from a microwave. I've always heard that preheating the oven is key to a good cake and so I'm not sure how that would work with a microwave?

Duncan Hines has or had small individual cakes that you mix up in the little bowl and pop into the microwave. I had it before, and it comes out nice!! Tastes good as well!! You drizzle the icing on it that comes with it.

But for large cakes, they go into the oven for baking. :hungry:

There was in the '8os or the '90s, that a cake mix was out that is cooked in the microwave, and it was HORRIBLE!!! :eek:

I have made cake in the microwave before and it turned out really good. It is very spongy and mine turned out very moist. I covered mine with a microwave splatter guard so I think it locked in the steam and moisture. If you have not tried it, you are missing out.

I have never heard of a multi-functional oven, but it sounds like it would be fun to own. I really enjoy steamed bread, especially the kind that has the meat filling in it. I can't remember what they are called off hand, but they are little round breads with a sweet or savory filling in them. I like to go to the Chinatown in Seattle to get them sometimes.

I haven't made a microwaved cake in a long time due to lack of ingredients I'd be willing to waste in the case that something goes wrong. However, soon I shall be able to make a beautiful chocolate mug cake using this form of cooking. I like making stuff like this for the holidays and cooking the microwavable stuff in holiday themed mugs; hot chocolate, scrambled eggs, etc. My only real problem is the ring of crispy looking stuff that ends up around near the top of the microwaved food.

I am a skeptic when it comes to anything being fully prepared in a microwave. I feel it has to do with those days when there was all the talk about radiation. Even with all that, I might still be willing to give the micro wave baking a try. I have a way of liking quick fixes.

In any event, before I get caught up with the idea, I want to perfect baking from scratch taken straight from the oven not the micro wave.

So far I have only tried one of those 3 minute cakes in a mug recipes. It has turned out so-so, not anywhere near worthy of the real thing, but it will do when you are desperate (read: too lazy). I never gave a bigger one a go though.

As a matter of fact there are quite a few microwave cake recipes for individual servings. It's perfect for one person who wants something sweet to eat and not store bought. They are the cutest recipes where you bake your cake in a mug. I especially like Nutella Mug Cake with spoons full of yummy Nutella in it.

Back
Top Bottom