Baking Disasters

I'm crap at cakes. More often than not, they don't turn out, so I'll probably be littering this topic with cake after cake after cake. :)

I just opened up the oven and the sponge cake feels a bit soft on the top, so I've put it back in for another 10 minutes to see what it's like.

20190822_205020.jpg
No harm came to it, though i think the oven is quite old and the heat isn't exactly evenly distributed, but at least it wasn't a complete disaster.

Not big on cake making, that's my daughters department. I don't make many mistakes. In fact the biggest one was making garlic bread and forgetting to put chilly sauce on top with cheese. It was still good, but one of the wee ones pointed it out.lol.

Russ

View attachment 31129No harm came to it, though i think the oven is quite old and the heat isn't exactly evenly distributed, but at least it wasn't a complete disaster.
Are those blueberries or raisins, perhaps? From the pic, looks like they are bunched together on the right side where the cake flattened out/lopsided. Perhaps give them a stir to evenly distribute them. Before going into the oven, I tap the pans on the countertop to evenly distribute the batter. Looks tasty though.

View attachment 31129No harm came to it, though i think the oven is quite old and the heat isn't exactly evenly distributed, but at least it wasn't a complete disaster.
It looks OK - especially for a first attempt. What are the dark bits? I hope I won't regret asking that! :)
Are those blueberries or raisins, perhaps? From the pic, looks like they are bunched together on the right side where the cake flattened out/lopsided. Perhaps give them a stir to evenly distribute them. Before going into the oven, I tap the pans on the countertop to evenly distribute the batter. Looks tasty though.
They're mixed fruit, raisins, etc. :happy:

Ok, this definitely qualifies as a baking disaster.

I was making a peach streusel cake for the wife. Cake on the bottom, a layer of peaches, and a streusel topping.

I read through the recipe and the accompanying photos, and made particular note that the cake batter would be thick and stiff and would need to be spread into the pan with a knife or spatula.

Cream the butter and sugar...add vanilla and an egg...mix in the dry ingredients and the milk...

Now, my eyes are bad. Bad as in glasses get me only so far. Bad as in it's barely legal for me to drive.

So I'm adding the milk, and I'm thinking, "This sure seems like a lot of milk...," and I keep pouring, adding some dry stuff, then some milk..."Oh well, I guess it'll thicken up...any time now...any time..."

I finished adding everything, and instead of being thick like cake frosting, it was thin, like crepe batter! What the...?!

I went back to the recipe, took my glasses off and held the phone right up to my face, zoomed way in, and what I had originally read as "1-1/2 cup" was actually "1/2 cup." With my glasses and the phone on the countertop, the 1 was kind kind of blurred and looked double.

Well crap.

Thickened it with a little more flour, a bit more of the spices, then threw it together and hoped for the best.

First, it bubbled over onto my pizza stone. Second, it wasn't sturdy enough to support the peaches or the streusel, so all of that folded right into the middle, like a lump. Third, it called for a 40 minute bake time, I had to eventually cover it and bake it for a whopping 75 minutes.

It came out very browned, like a cookie, around the edge, but the cake is very wet, though baked through, kind of sticky like a poke cake can get.

It seems to taste ok, but it's wet. It's really wet. Did I mention it's so freaking wet?

Last edited:
First, it bubbled over onto my pizza stone. Second, it was sturdy enough to support the peaches or the streusel, so all of that folded right into the middle, like a lump. Third, it called for a 40 minute bake time, I had to eventually cover it and bake it for a whopping 75 minutes.

It came out very browned, like a cookie, around the edge, but the cake is very wet, though baked through, kind of sticky like a poke cake can get.

It seems to taste ok, but it's wet. It's really wet. Did I mention it's so freaking wet?

Oh my! You should have taken a photo. :D

Back
Top Bottom