Baking Disasters

I trust you of course! I was just thinking of all that burnt stuff to clean off the baking tin. Hopefully you used some baking paper under them.

What I was aiming for:

What I "achieved:"

It rose better than I expected, and the texture is ok, but (and this kills me every time), when the video that goes with this recipe got to the decorative cut-twist-tuck bit, they actually sped the damn thing up double speed, so it was impossible to tell what exactly was going on. So I did my best.

Tastes better than I expected, not as dense as I thought, but...you know how Frankenstein looks like a human (head, torso, extremities), but he's really a mess? That's what this is, my little Frankenstein pastry.

What I was aiming for:

View attachment 53515

What I "achieved:"

View attachment 53516

It rose better than I expected, and the texture is ok, but (and this kills me every time), when the video that goes with this recipe got to the decorative cut-twist-tuck bit, they actually sped the damn thing up double speed, so it was impossible to tell what exactly was going on. So I did my best.

Tastes better than I expected, not as dense as I thought, but...you know how Frankenstein looks like a human (head, torso, extremities), but he's really a mess? That's what this is, my little Frankenstein pastry.View attachment 53522

Hey - I made one of those a while back. Different filling I think - I reckon you did quite well!

My baking today is a train wreck in the middle of a hurriquake. I may post pictures.

My baking today is a train wreck in the middle of a hurriquake. I may post pictures.
Ok, first up, a chocolate-orange tea cake:

I know what happened with this one...i overfilled the pan, and it overflowed (and made a mess of my pizza stone underneath), leading to a sunken middle.

The original recipe called for a 10-inch Bundt pan, so I halved it and opted for a 6-inch regular cake pan. Should have really gone with the 8-inch one...

That said, taking the positive, the texture of the cake was quite nice, so I have high hopes for the next time I make this. Also, it was an easy cake to make.

Next up, the scones:

It's hard to see in that pic, but that's a very small sheet pan, maybe 5-inch x 7-inch, and the recipe I chose (from a British cookbook I have), I specifically chose because she had metric measurements, making it very easy to halve.

Either my scale is off, the book is wrong, or she belongs in a looney bin, because the scone dough initially came together like cake batter, almost pourable, and I know that's wrong, so I started working in more of the dry ingredients just to get it to a slightly more cohesive state, then baked them.

Again, flavor was fine, but the loose dough led to that oozing spread. I may try making these once more just to see if they come out the same again.

All in all, though, nothing ended up in the bin, so it's a success...of sorts. You can see the finished products in the What I Shoved Down My Cakehole topic in a bit. 🫖 🍰

Ok, first up, a chocolate-orange tea cake:

View attachment 59944

I know what happened with this one...i overfilled the pan, and it overflowed (and made a mess of my pizza stone underneath), leading to a sunken middle.

The original recipe called for a 10-inch Bundt pan, so I halved it and opted for a 6-inch regular cake pan. Should have really gone with the 8-inch one...

That said, taking the positive, the texture of the cake was quite nice, so I have high hopes for the next time I make this. Also, it was an easy cake to make.

Next up, the scones:

View attachment 59945

It's hard to see in that pic, but that's a very small sheet pan, maybe 5-inch x 7-inch, and the recipe I chose (from a British cookbook I have), I specifically chose because she had metric measurements, making it very easy to halve.

Either my scale is off, the book is wrong, or she belongs in a looney bin, because the scone dough initially came together like cake batter, almost pourable, and I know that's wrong, so I started working in more of the dry ingredients just to get it to a slightly more cohesive state, then baked them.

Again, flavor was fine, but the loose dough led to that oozing spread. I may try making these once more just to see if they come out the same again.

All in all, though, nothing ended up in the bin, so it's a success...of sorts. You can see the finished products in the What I Shoved Down My Cakehole topic in a bit. 🫖 🍰
This brought me back to my teenage years when I tried to a cream pudding of some sort, but I completely messed up the amount of gelatin so it never solidified :laugh: My dad ate it with a spoon straight out of the mold, he will eat anything with sugar in it.

I love this thread so much. And I actually think is healthy to share our baking bluffs :roflmao:

I cannot show any pictures, but I burnt my first chocolate cake. The second one I attempted was tasteless. A year later, believe it or not, I baked a the famous Austrian Sacher Torte.

There is always hope, fellas. Never give up!

I made a sponge cake. My wife said don't overbeat it, so I did not over beat it, I just mixed it. the sponge cooked and did not rise, it ended up about 1/4 inch thick and bounced when I dropped it on the floor. I asked my wife what went wrong, She replied you did not mix it enough:mad:
But you said don't overbeat it. :wacky:

I made a sponge cake. My wife said don't overbeat it, so I did not over beat it, I just mixed it. the sponge cooked and did not rise, it ended up about 1/4 inch thick and bounced when I dropped it on the floor. I asked my wife what went wrong, She replied you did not mix it enough:mad:
But you said don't overbeat it. :wacky:
That's me and cakes in a nutshell. It's either overmixed or undermixed or the butter was too hard or the butter was too soft or the eggs were beaten in at too-long intervals or the eggs were beaten in at too-short intervals or the oven was too hot or the oven was not hot enough or I baked it too long or I didn't bake it long enough or I cooled it too long or I didn't cool it long enough or I was favoring my left leg during mixing or I was favoring my right leg during mixing or...

Seriously I've invested more time, effort, and money in figuring out how I can so gloriously <bleep> up cake after cake after cake over the years. It's never taken me this long to figure out anything else.

Back
Top Bottom