Baking fun food designs

primalclaws1974

Veteran
Local time
6:39 PM
Have you ever created anything out of food that was creative and pretty or fun to look at? I made a cake one time that was a Halloween theme. I am sure you have seen the cemetery cakes before. The headstones are usually a broken cookie, and the dirt is smashed Oreos. The difference in mine was that I placed a plastic casket inside the batter, and cooked it. I was concerned the heat might melt the plastic, or the hard candy inside, but it turned out lovely. When I frosted the cake, I marked off each "plot" with icing, so each person's slice had a casket to unearth. Have you made anything like this? Have you made any food people could interact with beyond eating it?

I have a hard time with cake design, but I did make a cupcake cake once shaped like Mickey Mouse for my son's birthday. You basically just line up all the cupcakes into the design you want and frost them all together as one unit. I would love to take up cake sculpture, but have not found the time to do it yet.

I love to make cut out sugar cookies and decorate them with royal icing. I usually just cut them into the shape of circles or squares and create pictures of whatever theme I'm going for. This year, for my daughter's end of the season celebration, I made a cookie for each girl with their team logo and name. We tied them to gift bags and used them as gift tags. It was really cute. I usually try to make themed after-school snacks for certain occasions too. One time, for the first day of school I cut a 9x13 cake into the shape of a pencil and iced it to look like a yellow #2. I placed it on a cardboard cake plate which I drew lines on to make it look like the pencil was on a piece of notebook paper. It was really cute, and actually really simple to do.

Decorated cakes and desserts are so pretty, and I wish I could do it better. I'm going to keep trying until I get it right though :) I hope one day I can do designs incredibly well.

on the golden jubilee of the queen we did a red white and blue plated bread ,and i have done harvest plates out of salted dough
i have done some great chocolate work in the past i made a church once in great detail and using gelatine sheets as stain glass,made royal iced plaques for various army regiments and displayed under a glass cloche ,not baking but I've done some fat carving ,one was a full flight eagle for a flying club,
I'm lucky as if i have a idea for a novelty sweet I've got a good pastry chef,like making a mock egg with coconut panacotta and a mango yolk
I will probably remember some more as the thread progresses!

For some time now I've been considering the idea of a dinner party where all the food (and possibly the drink) was black, but I haven't come up with enough ingredients yet. Squid ink pasta, caviar, wild rice, rye bread, black pudding, Guinness, all come to mind. Using black food colouring is not allowed! It gets a bit easier if you include very dark blue, purple and red: blackberries, black potatoes, blueberries, the 'black wine'; of Cahors, but I still can't construct a good menu. Anyway that's not really a fun food design, more a fun menu design.

For some time now I've been considering the idea of a dinner party where all the food (and possibly the drink) was black, but I haven't come up with enough ingredients yet. Squid ink pasta, caviar, wild rice, rye bread, black pudding, Guinness, all come to mind. Using black food colouring is not allowed! It gets a bit easier if you include very dark blue, purple and red: blackberries, black potatoes, blueberries, the 'black wine'; of Cahors, but I still can't construct a good menu. Anyway that's not really a fun food design, more a fun menu design.
liquorish,fermented black beans ,black onion seeds,black beans to make a pulse broth,we used to get a black garnishing paste in tins,and there is a black glutinous rice to use in rice style puds..........a few more black foods

liquorish,fermented black beans ,black onion seeds,black beans to make a pulse broth,we used to get a black garnishing paste in tins,and there is a black glutinous rice to use in rice style puds..........a few more black foods
Love fermented black beans (hadn't thought of that, even though I have some in the cupboard!). Liquorice is an interesting one. I've heard it goes well with fish. I think that would be liquorice powder, not confectioner's liquorice. I've got some liquorice powder in the cupboard too, but haven't dared used it yet. Perhaps it would go with Black Bream!?

Back
Top Bottom