Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Instant Yeast 101!?

kuda88

Veteran
Local time
10:20 PM
hello all, I recently started baking but am experiencing some problems in figuring out the quantities of the above the ingredients. I will usually add 1tsp of baking soda and 1tsp of baking soda to 2 1/2 cups of flour while making cupcakes but my cupcakes don't rise. I have experienced this generally, not only with cupcakes. As for the yeast I seems add too much or too little. Can anyone help with the basics of baking soda, baking powder and yeast. How they work and their ratios to flour. Much thanks.

How they work with the ratios of flour to raising will depend largely on what other ingredients are in the item you are baking and what temperature your oven (and ingredients) are at. Not all my recipes need both baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Some use only bicarbonate of soda and something called cream of tartar, others use only baking powder.

It is probably better to work on an individual problem recipe so I will take your cupcakes.
Most recipes that I can find that are in USA measurements indicate 1 cup of all purpose flour to 1tsp of baking powder (or 3/4 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp of baking powder).

www.food.com/recipe/basic-cupcakes-215703
www.food.com/recipe/basic-vegan-chocolate-cupcakes-259057

Both require the oven to be at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and taken roughly 15-18 minutes.

I must admit I have never had a recipe that needed both of those ingredients together. I use baking powder as a rule, and ony when the recipe cals for it do I use bicarbonate of soda. Doing what SNSSO is a good idea though.

Thanks for the insight,the recipe was for red velvet cupcakes and called for both baking powder and soda. I guess it was a rookie mistake by me for thinking I can use it for other cupcakes, because what I did was remove some of ingredients and tried to make basic cupcakes. As for cream of tartar I have yet to bake using it. I'll have to give it a try soon.

Back
Top Bottom