Baking Powder subs?

yeast and baking powder are both leavening agents - but altogether different things.

yeast is a bacteria/fungus* - a living 'thing' - that eats sugar, poops alcohol, and farts carbon dioxide gas.
baking powder is a chemical reaction that produces carbon dioxide gas.

the production of carbon dioxide gas is what make a dough rise/raise(UK)

there are billions of opinions about 'side products' and taste attached to both.

* = pinhead definitions apply

Last edited:
I feel like the confusion comes with the different language. The italian word for baking powder is probably very different to baking powder, same as what happens in Portuguese (where it translates to fermento em pó). I easily recognize baking powder because for some reason it's common for baking powder/fermento em pó to be sold in a small, round tin.

If you go to Wikipedia and search for baking powder, and then search the same page in Italian, it seems that the translation is Lievito chimico Lievito chimico - Wikipedia

I feel like the confusion comes with the different language. The italian word for baking powder is probably very different to baking powder, same as what happens in Portuguese (where it translates to fermento em pó). I easily recognize baking powder because for some reason it's common for baking powder/fermento em pó to be sold in a small, round tin.

If you go to Wikipedia and search for baking powder, and then search the same page in Italian, it seems that the translation is Lievito chimico Lievito chimico - Wikipedia

Right, it’s a confusion about the different language/meanings, but I’m now on the right path about it :okay:

In my 10 minutes of google research, please be aware that Italian baking powder often contains vanilla flavoring, so that might conflict with your savory cornbread.

In my 10 minutes of google research, please be aware that Italian baking powder often contains vanilla flavoring, so that might conflict with your savory cornbread.

Yep I've noticed it
Italian baking powder is actually a normal yeast powder for cakes, so it's sweet. I think I've found Cremor Tartaro as a substitute for baking powder, or at least the one that comes closest to it and can be used as a leavening agent for cakes as well as for pizza or bread, generally used by vegans and gluten-intolerant people.
It can be found in Italy but is not widely used. I have found out that it is also sold in pharmacies :eek:

Back
Top Bottom