Baking with Wheat or Whole Grain Flour

CountryMom

Veteran
Local time
1:46 AM
I have been trying to create more healthy baked treats for my family as of late. I purchased wheat flour and thought that this would be great to use in muffins; however, my muffins seem to be much more dry when using this type of flour. Should I be slightly reducing the amount used in my favorite recipes, or should I just try to locate recipes calling for this type of flour? Thank you!

The bran in wholemeal flour will be absorbing some of the liquid that you are adding to your muffins making them drier. Rather than an immediate 100% switch, you would probably be better off doing a 50:50 switch and just adding a touch more liquid to the mixture. Some recipes will ask for a mashed banana or pureed apple to add moisture as well.

Alternatively, as you suggest, finding dedicated recipes using wholemeal (wholewheat) flour could be another option.

Yeah I think you definitely should add a little more liquid to your recipe if you're using wheat flour instead of regular flour. However I would look up how much exactly, or be willing to experiment a little bit with the recipe; it's always better to add a little bit and then say it's not quite enough, rather than adding too much liquid and screwing up your recipe all together.

Back
Top Bottom