3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
6 ounces honey
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
  2. Combine walnuts, breadcrumbs, and cinnamon to create the filling and set aside.
  3. IMPORTANT: cover the phyllo dough with a damp kitchen towel after peeling a sheet off the roll in the following steps. Phyllo dough dries out very quickly and will crumble if left uncovered.
  4. Brush the inside of a ceramic pan with butter. Lay out the first sheet of phyllo dough in the pan, trimming to fit. Brush the sheet with butter. Repeat until there are 5 sheets.
  5. Spread 1/4 of filling in the pan. Add another sheet of phyllo dough and brush with butter. Repeat until there are 3 sheets.
  6. Spread 1/4 of filling in the pan. Add another sheet of phyllo dough and brush with butter. Repeat until there are 4 sheets.
  7. Spread 1/4 of filling in the pan. Add another sheet of phyllo dough and brush with butter. Repeat until there are 3 sheets.
  8. Spread remaining filling in the pan. Layer the remaining sheets with butter between each one. Pour remaining butter over the top.
  9. Cut the baklava in the pan into a grid 5 pieces wide by 6 pieces long, for a total of 30.
  10. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
  11. Prepare the syrup by combining the sugar, honey, and water in a pot. Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add lemon juice and heat for another 2 minutes. Turn off heat and cover until ready to use.
  12. When the baklava is baked, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. While still warm, pour the entire contents of syrup over the baklava. It should be completely soaked.
  13. Resist the urge to try a piece just yet! The honey mixture needs a chance to integrate and cool before the flavors are properly developed.
  14. Allow the baklava to cool to room temperature, uncovered. Then, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Last edited:
Ooh, you had me at Bak...

I loooove Baklava. Especially walnut Baklava.

My old Turkish neighbors used to make theirs with various nuts; whatever was in season. The soft crunch and rich flavour of walnuts works perfectly.

Greeks claim to have originated everything. It's probably more Asian, or Persian.

I've made baklava a few times and one twist that I sometimes throw in there is macadamia nuts. Whiles it's definitely not traditional the buttery flavor really adds alot.

View attachment 19138

Ingredients

8 ounces phyllo dough, 20 sheets
1 cup light butter, melted
12 ounces walnuts, crushed
3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
6 ounces honey
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
  2. Combine walnuts, breadcrumbs, and cinnamon to create the filling and set aside.
  3. IMPORTANT: cover the phyllo dough with a damp kitchen towel after peeling a sheet off the roll in the following steps. Phyllo dough dries out very quickly and will crumble if left uncovered.
  4. Brush the inside of a ceramic pan with butter. Lay out the first sheet of phyllo dough in the pan, trimming to fit. Brush the sheet with butter. Repeat until there are 5 sheets.
  5. Spread 1/4 of filling in the pan. Add another sheet of phyllo dough and brush with butter. Repeat until there are 3 sheets.
  6. Spread 1/4 of filling in the pan. Add another sheet of phyllo dough and brush with butter. Repeat until there are 4 sheets.
  7. Spread 1/4 of filling in the pan. Add another sheet of phyllo dough and brush with butter. Repeat until there are 3 sheets.
  8. Spread remaining filling in the pan. Layer the remaining sheets with butter between each one. Pour remaining butter over the top.
  9. Cut the baklava in the pan into a grid 5 pieces wide by 6 pieces long, for a total of 30.
  10. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
  11. Prepare the syrup by combining the sugar, honey, and water in a pot. Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add lemon juice and heat for another 2 minutes. Turn off heat and cover until ready to use.
  12. When the baklava is baked, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. While still warm, pour the entire contents of syrup over the baklava. It should be completely soaked.
  13. Resist the urge to try a piece just yet! The honey mixture needs a chance to integrate and cool before the flavors are properly developed.
  14. Allow the baklava to cool to room temperature, uncovered. Then, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Looks like quite a bit of work. I sometimes eat baklava, but not all the time, on account it's really wicked sweet. But I've never made it. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom