Ambrose

Local time
8:50 AM
This recipe is based off chef John's recipe for baklava
Chef John's Baklava
But I altered a few ingredients, ratios, and steps. I also used his recipe for homemade phyllo dough in this recipe.

This recipe make crispy baklava that is only moderately sweet. The macadamia nuts are not strictly necessary and you may use walnuts, my sister is just allergic

Ingredients (this was made in a 9in circular pan so if you are using a larger pan then you may want to increase ingredients in proportion to the increased area)

Filling ingredients
- phyllo (between 15 and 30 sheets just be aware of how many sheets you are using and apportion ingredients acourdingly)
- 1/2 cup of macadamia nuts
- 1 cup of pistachios
- 1 1/2 cups of pecans
- 1/4 cup of butter (melted)
- 3 Tbsp of honey
- 1 1/2 sugar

Syrup ingredients
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 cups of honey
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tbsp of vanilla

Instructions
  1. Mix the nuts in a blender and blend until smaller than peas (it may be that you have to blend a little then take the nuts out and just put the larger chunks back in)
  2. Mix the melted butter, honey and sugar
  3. Lightly brush a little of the butter mix on the inside of the dish
  4. Lay two sheets of phyllo dough in the dish
  5. Drizzle a little of the butter mixture on top and gently spread it around
  6. Lay out 2 layers and repeat previous step
  7. Lay out 1 more layer for a total of 5 and drizzle more butter, then pour some of the nut mixture on (use a portion of nut mixture based on how many sheets you want to use. I usually use 24 sheets. You could also adjust this ratio to every 4 layers rather than 5 if you want more nuts)
  8. Repeat precious layering steps until all nuts and sheets are used
  9. Cut before putting in the over( cut to whatever size and shape you like, I enjoy experimenting with different designs
  10. Put in a 375 degree F oven for around an hour until browned. (Check so you don't burn it and be careful about burning the bottom)
  11. While that was in the oven make the syrup my mixing all syrup ingredients in a small pot and heating and stirring till warm and disolved (takes maybe 10 minutes)
  12. Pour the syrup over the baklava fresh out of the oven. Tilt the pan every few minutes as it cool so the syrup permeates the layers rather than all sitting at the bottom.
  13. Let cool for a while (half hour depending on how hot you like eating things) then enjoy
It lasts a while. Keep stored in the pan you baked it in otherwise it may fall apart (I haven't figured out how to prevent the falling apart yet if you have any advise I would appreciate it)
Resized_20211217_100725.jpeg Resized_20211129_231722.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Its totally worth doing at least once. It doesnt take too long once you get a grove and it is very satisfying.

I suppose I should. I make puff pastry and yeasted puff pastry for croissants. I find that easy. Its the rolling or stretching so thinly with filo that I find daunting. Also - I don't have a large surface which I think is needed?

Depends on how you make the phyllo. The recipe I used Homemade Phyllo (or Filo) Dough
Has layered rolling rather than stretching a single sheet. It could be done on a space the size of a cutting board. If you have enough room for a puff pastry then there is more than enough room for this.
The only alteration I made to this recipe is I used more olive oil.

Depends on how you make the phyllo. The recipe I used Homemade Phyllo (or Filo) Dough
Has layered rolling rather than stretching a single sheet. It could be done on a space the size of a cutting board. If you have enough room for a puff pastry then there is more than enough room for this.
The only alteration I made to this recipe is I used more olive oil.

Thanks - I will have to try this.

Back
Top Bottom