Recipe Baklava

teamshepherd

Veteran
Local time
11:06 PM
a4a24714287d385ddb36c1b1f4a3b3c7.jpg

Do you guys like Baklava? Above is my photo I posted elsewhere online in the past. I had step by step instructions with pictures on how to make it. I lost the pictures unfortunately but I can still share the recipe with everyone.
This particular recipe is from Croatia, its the way my auntie makes it. I love it so much she ended up giving me the recipe nicely framed and now it sits proud and high on my kitchen wall.

Ingredients:

- .5kg Phyllo pastry sheets

(I don’t really seem to come across them in an average grocery store so I buy them from the international store)

- 3 eggs

- 1 plain yogurt nothing fancy with flavoring (unless you want to experiment of course!)

- 3 cups sugar

- 1 tsp baking powder

- 20 Dag finely chopped walnuts

- 1.5 cup water

- 1-2 lemon

Prep:
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 *F

- Mix the eggs, yogurt and baking powder to create a thin very runny cream.

- Take half of the pastry sheets and, one by one, put them down into a baking pan. Cover each one with a thin layer of the cream.

- Once done mix 1.5 cup sugar and the walnuts and cover the top layer with the mixture.
This time I have not put the mixture only in the middle instead I spread it out between a few sheets.

- Repeat with the rest of the pastry sheets:

one by one, put them down into a baking pan on top of the walnut mix. Cover each one with a thin layer of the cream.

- Before baking cut the Baklava into diagonals, squares, triangles or however you like:

- Bake until golden brown.

- Make syrup by boiling 1.5 cups of sugar and 1.5 cups of water. I sometimes add some lemon slices in too, but that is optional, and if you add in too much it might be bitter.

- Once the Baklava is done let it cool a bit then cover with syrup.

- Thinly slice a lemon and cover the top of Baklava with it, this allows the Baklava to soak up the lemony flavor and remain moist, later on most people discard of the lemon but it does look quite phenomenal when serving a slice of the Baklava with a nicely cut slice of lemon on top.

- You can eat the Baklava right away, however it is recommended to let it cool and sit in the fridge for a good few hours so the pastry can take in all the juices and those lovely flavors form!

Enjoy!

Thank you for the recipe. Your picture looks very pretty. I love baklava, but it has always seemed a bit difficult to make in my book. Your recipe seems very unique. I have never seen a recipe with a cream created with eggs and yogurt before. The lemon slice is very different as well. I suppose it helps with the overwhelming sweetness that baklava usually tastes of. I am definitely going to give this recipe a try just so I can taste it.

This Baklava is also slightly moist and not dried out like many versions can be. This is how I have known it my whole life and I've only tried the dry ones later on as an adult.
If you do try it let us know how it goes and I would love to see pics!

I love Baklava, thanks for sharing this. I prefer mine to be more on the moist side than on the dry side. I have found it dry and chewy at the bakery and it does not compare to the moist kind you can make at home. My inlaws make Baklava during the holidays and I devour it!

I love Baklava, thanks for sharing this. I prefer mine to be more on the moist side than on the dry side. I have found it dry and chewy at the bakery and it does not compare to the moist kind you can make at home. My inlaws make Baklava during the holidays and I devour it!
This one would be right up your alley then! I am ashamed to admit how much of it I can consume :hungry::shy:.

Back
Top Bottom