Recipe Banana Cream Pie by Emeril

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
9:05 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
If you saw my posts for my recent trip to Las Vegas, you may have noticed that remarked about how the banana cream pie that I had at Emeril’s restaurant was the best that I’ve ever had. And, if you know anything about me, you know that this also means that I have to try to make it myself.

Fortunately, I didn’t have to guess about the recipe or the ingredients, since Emeril freely shares his recipes. The only thing I changed was that I made my own light caramel sauce, and I chose not to add the chocolate.

In making this recipe, I also did something that's unusual for me: I took a shortcut instead of making everything from scratch. I bought a box of cinnamon graham crackers to use as the crust, but I got bogged down with other things in my life, so I bought a pre-made crust. That, and the kids ate too many of them, and I didn't have enough.

The original recipe (which I linked above) includes instructions on how to make the whipped cream (which I skipped: another shortcut!), and links to his caramel sauce and chocolate sauce recipes.

Ingredients

4 cups half-and-half (the original recipe also breaks this down as heavy cream and whole milk)
1/2 cups plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise and seeds scraped
3 large egg yolks
2 large eggs
1/2 cup cornstarch
Graham Cracker Crust
3 pounds (about 9) firm but ripe bananas
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
The Late Night Gourmet's Light Caramel Sauce
Whipped cream (canned makes a better coating)

Directions

1. Combine 2 cups cream, the milk, 1/2 cup sugar, and vanilla bean and seeds in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a gentle boil, whisking to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat.

2. Combine egg yolks, eggs, cornstarch, and 1 cup sugar in a medium bowl; whisk until pale yellow in color. Set aside.

3. Whisk 1 cup hot cream mixture into egg yolk mixture. Gradually add egg mixture to hot cream mixture, whisking constantly. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly with a large wooden spoon to cook out cornstarch and thicken mixture, about 5 minutes. (The mixture may separate slightly; if so, remove from heat and beat with an electric mixer until thick and smooth.) Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Chill in refrigerator for about 4 hours.

6762D87A-401F-4065-B64D-D70C3DAECBBE.jpeg

4. To assemble, spread 1/2 cup custard over the bottom of the prepared crust, smoothing with the back of a large spoon or rubber spatula.

188A79C8-D0BE-42A1-AE68-C18A3BA537E1.jpeg

5. Cut bananas crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Discard the ends.

BC4E6C11-92BD-48B4-BA52-90675D60DB03.jpeg

6. Arrange enough banana slices in a tight, tiled pattern over custard, pressing down with your hands to pack them firmly. Repeat to build a second layer, using 3/4 cup custard and enough bananas to cover, smoothing down the layer evenly.

NOTE: Emeril's pie is deeper, so there's a third layer.

70850405-61F9-47FF-A980-2B3E106C95EF.jpeg

7. Spread remaining custard evenly over bananas to prevent discoloration. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight. NOTE: The recipe made enough to fill 2 pre-made pie crusts, so we have pies in stereo.

E650CFBE-0FCB-49F9-A8A4-AAB02797C96F.jpeg

8. Use enough whipped cream to cover the the entire surface. Drizzle caramel sauce over the whipped cream. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

E85BC1F0-4864-4E5F-834C-4BD5ABC20932.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom