Banana Flambeau!

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
7:23 AM
I woke from a nap and stepping out, overheard my housemates talking Flambeau with a guest of theirs. I asked them if I could take pictures and post them to my cooking website and they gave their consent and permission. Unfortunately, having just woke up, I was groggy. Things were happening too quick to set up a tripod and my pictures suffer badly from camera shake. Apologies in advance.

BTW: Flambeau is not a misspelling of Flambe. It's USA spelling.

BananaFlambeau1.jpg

P is scooping out the Ice Cream while H is busy preparing the Banana Flambeau using Kahlua as the igniter and flavor agent. Little Beat (Little Heart Beat) as I call her, looks at me curiously as I try to manage my camera. Little Beat is not her real name, but I have taken to calling her that. She has two other pals that aren't present in this Photo.

BananaFlambeau2.jpg

H stands back from the heat of the Flambeau.

BananaFlambeau3.jpg

Ignition! The Kahlua is near by, possibly too nearby.

Ah! I hate camera shake at moments like this. Last time a did a Flambeau it was using Gran Marnier with Lamb Kabobs.

Back in the day, I went to Teneriffe with nine friends to sort out some problem a good friend of ours and bar owner was having. As a thank you he took us all out to a very expensive restaurant for dinner. At the next table the waiter was making the national dish of flambeed bananas. The fool tried to light it 3 times with no success, each time he added more liquor. After the third time he leaned over to sniff it. Whoosh the pan exploded and set his hair on fire. He started running like a headless chicken. We chased him, knocked him down and smothered the flames whilst singing Micheal Jacksons thriller in 'omage to Jackson setting his hair on fire.

Back in the day, I went to Teneriffe with nine friends to sort out some problem a good friend of ours and bar owner was having. As a thank you he took us all out to a very expensive restaurant for dinner. At the next table the waiter was making the national dish of flambeed bananas. The fool tried to light it 3 times with no success, each time he added more liquor. After the third time he leaned over to sniff it. Whoosh the pan exploded and set his hair on fire. He started running like a headless chicken. We chased him, knocked him down and smothered the flames whilst singing Micheal Jacksons thriller in 'omage to Jackson setting his hair on fire.

He must have been a new employee. The trick to doing a Flambe/Flambeau is to preheat the liqueur so it begins to give off vapor, then light it. Your fool tried enough times to light it to heat up some portion enough to create just enough vapor to do him in when he got too inquisitive.

He must have been a new employee. The trick to doing a Flambe/Flambeau is to preheat the liqueur so it begins to give off vapor, then light it. Your fool tried enough times to light it to heat up some portion enough to create just enough vapor to do him in when he got too inquisitive.
My Mrs B back in the day was a maitre d for Celebrity Cruise lines. When she was on duty for afternoon tea she supervised the flambe trolley with a chef making crepe suzette for the pax. The reason, she was a tested and certified fire fighter by Miami coastguard. I come from a long line of Christmas pudding flambe artists. When we touch we spontaneously ignite. There is no need to preheat the alcohol if you hear the sizzle.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4amkfHRGQw&ab_channel=FoodNetworkCanada

My Mrs B back in the day was a maitre d for Celebrity Cruise lines. When she was on duty for afternoon tea she supervised the flambe trolley with a chef making crepe suzette for the pax. The reason, she was a tested and certified fire fighter by Miami coastguard. I come from a long line of Christmas pudding flambe artists. When we touch we spontaneously ignite. There is no need to preheat the alcohol if you hear the sizzle.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4amkfHRGQw&ab_channel=FoodNetworkCanada

True. A liqueur will give off vapor just sitting and especially by just coming in contact with a hot surface.

How do you all manage sharing a kitchen? Or do you cook/eat together?

I cook separately using portable devices and a microwave. The Kitchen I do not want to interfere with as H spends a lot of time making meals for herself, her daughter and their guests. I think it is best to avoid conflicts and savor the peace.

I guess I was lucky, my ex and I got along great in the kitchen. We actually enjoyed cooking together.

CD
It's not even a personality clash, it's just constant bumping into each other, having to stop mid-stride to let the other person by, both needing to get in the fridge at the same time, that sort of thing.

When I'm in the kitchen, I'm moving, and anything in my path better get out of the way, because I'm pretty focused on what I'm doing, and I don't have time to say, "Excuse me, pardon me, could you please allow me to get the pepper, please?"

There was a story in the news a couple of years ago about a guy charged with murder. He'd stabbed someone in the kitchen, and his story was that he'd had a knife in his hand, turned around quickly, and the other person was right on his heels and caught the knife.

Everyone at work was laughing and saying, "Yeah, likely story..." except for me, because I've nearly done exactly that twice; once to my brother and once to my wife.

Back
Top Bottom