The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
9:08 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
C6997EB0-B078-47DD-B7ED-974A1D953542.jpeg

Despite the name, no dogs were harmed in the making of this recipe. And, while banh mi is typically made with pork, and while mystery meat hot dogs generally contain pork, I always love a beef dog when I have a choice. I considered pork sausage, but I would have needed to make a significantly thicker wrapper for the dog to contain rendered fat. And, everything bagel seasoning isn't something you'll see in Vietnam very often. But, it's my kitchen...and my kitchen was filled with a smell like everything bagels being toasted as these cooked. That alone made the seasoning a great idea.

Ingredients

2 beef hot dogs
41g puff pastry (1/6 of a sheet)
1 egg
kimchi
everything bagel seasoning
cilantro
spicy mayo

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).

2. If frozen, thaw puff pastry sheet in the refrigerator. On a lightly floured workspace, roll out the sheet so there's enough room to fit the two hot dogs end-to-end with room to spare. Split the sheet in half. In each half, center a hot dog, and distribute kimchi around the dog. Make sure to soak up any excess liquids.

87A198BF-2FD6-415A-B561-0C873C63F135.jpeg

3. Wet the edges of the sheet with a small amount of water. Fold in the edges of the sheet until the contents are completely enclosed. Pinch the seams together to ensure there are no openings. Place the wrapped dog seam-side down. Cut slits in the surface of the wrapper to provide ventilation during cooking.

2FAF5181-5FFC-4F1C-91DD-742942E58F6F.jpeg

4. Whisk an egg and brush the exposed exterior of the dogs thoroughly.

4200EF95-E24E-4D65-9498-9B61108D0F04.jpeg

5. Sprinkle the surface liberally with everything bagel seasoning. If you don't have any, sesame seeds or poppy seeds also work nicely.

7BC247EC-D67C-4C07-B1E1-EE00D56C6A98.jpeg

6. Bake on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with spicy mayo and cilantro.

View attachment 96611

Despite the name, no dogs were harmed in the making of this recipe. And, while banh mi is typically made with pork, and while mystery meat hot dogs generally contain pork, I always love a beef dog when I have a choice. I considered pork sausage, but I would have needed to make a significantly thicker wrapper for the dog to contain rendered fat. And, everything bagel seasoning isn't something you'll see in Vietnam very often. But, it's my kitchen...and my kitchen was filled with a smell like everything bagels being toasted as these cooked. That alone made the seasoning a great idea.

Ingredients

2 beef hot dogs
41g puff pastry (1/6 of a sheet)
1 egg
kimchi
everything bagel seasoning
cilantro
spicy mayo

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).

2. If frozen, thaw puff pastry sheet in the refrigerator. On a lightly floured workspace, roll out the sheet so there's enough room to fit the two hot dogs end-to-end with room to spare. Split the sheet in half. In each half, center a hot dog, and distribute kimchi around the dog. Make sure to soak up any excess liquids.

View attachment 96614

3. Wet the edges of the sheet with a small amount of water. Fold in the edges of the sheet until the contents are completely enclosed. Pinch the seams together to ensure there are no openings. Place the wrapped dog seam-side down. Cut slits in the surface of the wrapper to provide ventilation during cooking.

View attachment 96613

4. Whisk an egg and brush the exposed exterior of the dogs thoroughly.

View attachment 96612

5. Sprinkle the surface liberally with everything bagel seasoning. If you don't have any, sesame seeds or poppy seeds also work nicely.

View attachment 96615

6. Bake on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with spicy mayo and cilantro.
How cool is that?!!! :bravo:

Back
Top Bottom