Barley Malt

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
2:33 PM
Barley Malt is something rare to find in most people's pantry. And the question is that unless you intend to brew Beer, would it be better to get a Malted Milk Powder than to get the Barley Malt Powder and mix it in to create Malted Milk Shakes?

I am inclined to want the Barley Malt so that I can use it not just for creating a Malted Milk, but also flavoring Dough for Breads and so forth.

Opinions?

I've got some barley malt extract (comes in a jar) which I use in bread making sometimes. Roasted malt flour is great for adding to rye bread.

Given that I have just ordered Dark Rye Flour to prep making Rye Bread, it seems all the more reasonable to get the Barley Malt.

The other angle on Barley Malt, besides Beer as a beverage, is the Malted Milk.

When it comes to Milk Shakes, I used to see them as Ice Cream mixed with Coca Cola and topped with Whipped Cream and a Cherry. I'm old enough to have had Malted Milks and I remember them as being so good! They just are not made anymore, unless you make them yourself.

I had to look that up as I never heard of it before, not being one to brew my own Beer. Interesting.
Marmite is a UK thing. Almost everyone hates it except discerning Brits. The Aussie equivalent is Vegemite which is much milder and less salty.

Not sure if I've ever put it in bread. Could be interesting.

I did some shopping online and could only find a liquid Barley Malt Syrup which I purchased.

Roasted Barley Malt was available as whole grains, not powdered.

Back
Top Bottom