1/4 to 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt or to taste
1/2 oz. chopped fresh cilantro
1 TB. lime juice
1 oz. flour
1 medium egg, beaten
3 1/2 oz. soft bread crumbs
oil for frying

1. Boil the potatoes in their skins. Cool, peel and mash them.
2. Lightly crush the cashews.
3. Heat the oil over a medium heat and add the mustard seeds. As soon as they begin to pop, add the cumin seeds and allow the seeds to crackle in the hot oil for a few seconds.
4. Add the onions, green chilies and garlic. Stir and fry until the onions are a pale golden color.
5. Stir in the turmeric, chili powder, salt and cilantro leaves. Remove from the heat.
6. Add the mashed potatoes, cashews and lime juice to the onion mixture and mix thoroughly.
7. Divide the mixture into 8 equal-sized portions and shape into flat oval-shaped cutlets. Dust each cutlet in flour, then dip in beaten egg and roll in breadcrumbs.
8. Heat a little oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the cutlets for about 5-7 minutes until golden brown and drain on absorbent paper. Serves 8

Source: "A Taste of Goa" by Mridula Baljekar - pub. 1995

Batata (potato) Cutlets

1 1/4 lb. potatoes
3 oz. unroasted shelled cashews
2 TB. oil
1/2 tsp. black mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1-2 fresh green chilies, seeded and chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1 tsp. salt or to taste
1 TB. lime juice
1 oz. flour
1 medium egg, beaten
oil for frying

3. Heat the oil over a medium heat and add the mustard seeds. As soon as they begin to pop, add the cumin seeds and allow the seeds to crackle in the hot oil for a few seconds.
4. Add the onions, green chilies and garlic. Stir and fry until the onions are a pale golden color.
5. Stir in the turmeric, chili powder, salt and cilantro leaves. Remove from the heat.
6. Add the mashed potatoes, cashews and lime juice to the onion mixture and mix thoroughly.
7. Divide the mixture into 8 equal-sized portions and shape into flat oval-shaped cutlets. Dust each cutlet in flour, then dip in beaten egg and roll in breadcrumbs.
8. Heat a little oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the cutlets for about 5-7 minutes until golden brown and drain on absorbent paper. Serves 8

That’s a very interesting recipe! I’m not sure if I’ll be able to find black mustard seeds nor cilantro, but I’ll can get easily the rest of ingredients.. thanks for sharing :okay:

Your welcome, my pleasure. I hope you can find the seeds and cilantro. I love recipes like this with so many different herbs, spices and such.
I can't believe it's been so long since last we made it. It sure is going in the make soon file.

Batata (potato) Cutlets

1 1/4 lb. potatoes
3 oz. unroasted shelled cashews
2 TB. oil
1/2 tsp. black mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1-2 fresh green chilies, seeded and chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1 tsp. salt or to taste
1 TB. lime juice
1 oz. flour
1 medium egg, beaten
oil for frying

Thanks, just need to get cashews. I picked 2 limes from our tree yesterday. Wondered what I could use these on.
No pics? But sounds good.

Russ

Thanks, just need to get cashews. I picked 2 limes from our tree yesterday. Wondered what I could use these on.
No pics? But sounds good.

Russ
I know, one of these days I will learn to post pics. Sorry, but hope you like the recipe anyway. lol

However, the word “batata” reminds me once I have been to the market and saw for the first time the word “patata” (potato) written with b. They explained to me what it was, etc, and they said “you can also make a purée” and I replied “ well, at least I’ll make buree” :laugh:
I laughed on my own though...

However, the word “batata” reminds me once I have been to the market and saw for the first time the word “patata” (potato) written with b. They explained to me what it was, etc, and they said “you can also make a purée” and I replied “ well, at least I’ll make buree” :laugh:
I laughed on my own though...
Glad you mentioned that. I looked up batata and found out it means Sweet Potato. I don't remember what we made this recipe with, white or sweet, but the notation on it was delicious!!!!

Glad you mentioned that. I looked up batata and found out it means Sweet Potato. I don't remember what we made this recipe with, white or sweet, but the notation on it was delicious!!!!

I’m sure it was and I’m very curious to try it soon.. there is a bio supermarket next to my house that sells batata as well, I could buy it even tomorrow as I already have in mind to go there to buy some things

Oh I hope you do. I am really curious to know what it taste like using sweet potatoes. I really like sweet potatoes, but DH does not. But he will eat them. It must be nice having a supermarket as a neighbor. Heck, it must be nice living in Italy.

I like this recipe very much and intend to make it. I'll post a photo when I do. The name Mridula Baljekar keeps popping up lately on the forum.

Back
Top Bottom