batter pourer

wahmed

Veteran
Local time
6:27 AM
Getting my cupcakes even is such a big hassle. It really annoys me. I use an ice cream scoop which is good, but I came across a batter pourer. Has anyone got one, if so what are they like. Any good or just not worth it.

the batter pourers I've used ,will only be any use for liquid batters ,they have a thumb release,for a cake mix why not try a piping bag

Could you use weight? If you knew what was right, then simply put the same weight of batter in each time.
Thats actually a really good idea, and where my being an accountant kicks in. I'll figure out the numbers. Its what I do. Why didn't I think of that!

the batter pourers I've used ,will only be any use for liquid batters ,they have a thumb release,for a cake mix why not try a piping bag
I don't like piping bags they get out of hand and I end up putting in too much!

So going by weight, I assume you'd need to:
  • Weigh empty bowl (A)
  • Weigh bowl with batter (B)
  • Subtract A from B
  • Divide the answer by the number of cupcakes the batter is intended to make
  • This is the weight you need to add to the bun tin.
It's just that I always end up making odd-sized cupcakes too!

I use the 1/2 cup measure to fill my tin cups. I fill the measuring cup up each time so that all of the muffings are the same size.

I think finding a suitable volume receptacle (spoon, ladle, egg cup whatever) is more practical long term than using weight, which would get tedious.

If you can master a piping bag, that's a good way to control cake better. I use it when making cake pops.

So going by weight, I assume you'd need to:
  • Weigh empty bowl (A)
  • Weigh bowl with batter (B)
  • Subtract A from B
  • Divide the answer by the number of cupcakes the batter is intended to make
  • This is the weight you need to add to the bun tin.
It's just that I always end up making odd-sized cupcakes too!
personally I would just set the scales to zero with the muffin tin on it (or cup cake tin or whatever)... add in the correct amount and note what the scales say. set them to zero again, and add in the same amount. repeat as needed. seems so much simpler.

After the first time you will know how many your batter makes.
Don't over think it. If you only make 11 but they are the size you want and work for your tins instead of the 12 the recipe states, so what!

I don't think the OP's problem is how big to make the cakes, it's how to get them all the same size. So a volume measure, used accurately, should sort the problem.

I don't think the OP's problem is how big to make the cakes, it's how to get them all the same size. So a volume measure, used accurately, should sort the problem.
if they know the weight of the correct sized one at batter point, then simply weighing out the same amount of batter repeatedly will solve the problem.

I do the same thing as Pat and just use a measuring cup to pour my batter with. A 1/2 cup measuring cup full of batter will yield you a perfect cupcake and they will all be uniform in size practically. It seems as though all of the weights and measures would take way too long. I do like how scientific the process sounds though!

The measuring cup does seem like the easiest way to go! Baking is definitely a science though - and the kitchen is the laboratory!

Back
Top Bottom