Bay leaves (European)

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
11:57 AM
What can I got with a MASSIVE bag of bay leaves (European)? A friend was with me in an Asian store as I looked for the Asian bay leaves Morning Glory introduced me to (thank you again Morning Glory). Friend then bought me a huge bag of the European bay leaves not knowing it was different. She is such a kind friend.

So what can I do with them? (I gave a load to my mum.)

What can I got with a MASSIVE bag of bay leaves (European)? A friend was with me in an Asian store as I looked for the Asian bay leaves Morning Glory introduced me to (thank you again Morning Glory). Friend then bought me a huge bag of the European bay leaves not knowing it was different. She is such a kind friend.

So what can I do with them? (I gave a load to my mum.)
Can you dry them? If so, they will keep forever.

They are already dried.
Then you don't have a problem 😀 Other than using them to flavour sauces and meat dishes, the best use I have come across recently is in making bay salt. From memory, it's just ground up bay leaves mixed with salt, and it's great with seafood.

The trouble is, as rascal says, a big bag is going to last you for years and years. There are only so many bay leaves you can add to a dish! You could perhaps try grinding some to a powder in a spice grinder to use as a rub. Might work well with chicken...

Old Bay seasoning, an American favourite, contains ground bay leaves, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom