Recipe Beef and Root Vegetable Stew

caseydog

Local time
6:05 AM
I am writing this recipe from memory, because I managed to lose my notes. But, it is pretty simple, and you can make any changes that float your boat. I was rather surprised by how much I liked it -- it is not something I would have done if not for the Root Veg challenge.

RootStew001.jpg

Ingredients

1 pound beef, cubed, I used chuck and made roughly 3/4 inch cubes *
2 cups cubed parsnips *
2 cups cubed rutabaga/swede *
2 cups cubed Carrots *
1 onion, diced
2 TBSP minced or crushed garlic
1 12 ounce can/bottle of good beer (I used Modelo Especial)
Beef Stock/broth -- enough to cover everything in the pot
1 TSP dried oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste
I cup flour

* The size of your cubes of meat and veg are up to you. Just keep the size consistent.

You will need a cast iron Dutch oven, or another cooking vessel that is oven safe.

Instructions

Dip your beef cubes in flour, then sear them in a hot DO or pan lubed with OO. This will brown the meat, and the flour will help thicken the sauce.

Remove the meat, and add a little more OO. Sweat your onions and garlic.

Deglaze the pan/DO with beer.

Put your meat and all of the veg in the pan/pot, and add enough beer and stock to just barely cover everything.

Put the pan/pot, covered into an oven set to 275F. This is where a cast iron DO or braiser will really excel.

Cook until the beef is fork tender -- from 2 to three hours.

CD

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with this dish really. Its a good hearty comforting stew. Personally I'd use a good dark beer (I think the beer you used it blonde?). It looks good in that red cast iron. Would you serve this with anything else - like crusty bread, for example?

then sear them in a hot DO or pan lubed with OO

I'm afraid I don't know what DO or OO means. :scratchhead:

Can't go wrong with this dish really. Its a good hearty comforting stew. Personally I'd use a good dark beer (I think the beer you used it blonde?). It looks good in that red cast iron. Would you serve this with anything else - like crusty bread, for example?

I'm afraid I don't know what DO or OO means. :scratchhead:
Dutch oven and olive oil I believe.

OK - Extra virgin olive oil is (irritatingly to my mind) often abbreviated to EVOO. So I suppose OO is not extra virgin. Dutch oven isn't really a term used in the UK hence my not getting it.
I'm guilty of EVOO, lol.

The only way I guessed the DO is because he had spelled it out in full earlier in the recipe.

Back
Top Bottom