Recipe Beef Bone Broth

clairebeautiful

Veteran
Local time
3:01 PM
Okay, trying my hand at beef bone broth for the first time.

Ran across this random blog post for paleo-people (which I am not) and it got me so interested, I've decided to try it.

I actually got some "soup bones" donated to me by a friend who orders whole quarters of grass-fed beef cows.

Here's what I did:
  • chopped onion
  • chopped celery
  • chopped carrot
  • chopped head of garlic (peeled)
  • 2T apple cider vinegar
  • some oregano (didn't have bay leaves)
  • 2lbs beef soup bones (I roasted mine)
Put everything in the crock pot and covered with water. Will be cooking on low for 24 hours. I'll check in and let you know how it turns out.

Would love to hear any other experiences with this below!

I would love to hear how this turned out, as I've been meaning to try making some beef stock as well. I've heard mixed thoughts on roasting the bones - some people say that it deepens the flavor while others say that it pulls too much of the flavor components out on to the baking sheet instead of them going into your stock pot.

I've only just recently discovered that you're supposed to add an "acid" of some sort to stocks - I noticed the cider vinegar in your recipe. Apparently it draws more flavor out of the bones and has some sort of reaction with the calcium in them. From what I've read, you could also use some diced fresh tomato, or a splash of wine as the "acid" as well.

I've been experimenting with cutting back on the carrots in my stocks - because I've been encountering a problem where the stock has a slight "burnt" taste to it. I generally pressure cook my stocks on high for an hour rather than do the low & slow method. I'm speculating that perhaps the excess sugars and starches in the carrots are maybe getting "scorched" a bit during the cooking process, so I left them out entirely this last time I made chicken stock - and it was a noticeable improvement.

It was amazing. The flavor was akin to the best tasting French Onion soup I've ever had.

If you are interested, I wrote all about it (and include pictures) here: Beef Bone Broth.

I actually ended up eating it right away instead of freezing it. The first cup I had I poured over some leftover sautéed onions and cabbage. It was divine. The next day I did the same thing but added ramen noodles and grated ginger. It was even better. This weekend I'm tackling chicken stock and getting very excited about it.

Yum! I love bone broth. We tend to eat/drink it almost as soon as it's done too. I made a spicy veggie sausage soup with most of my last batch and I think it was one of my best soups ever!

Back
Top Bottom