1 1⁄2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1⁄3cup soy sauce
3 bay leaves
3 tablespoons minute tapioca
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
8 oz white pearl onions
8 oz sliced button mushrooms

DIRECTIONS
In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate and refrigerate. Pour half of bacon fat into small bowl; set skillet with remaining bacon fat aside.

Dry beef thoroughly with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper; place half of beef (uncooked) into the slow cooker.

Heat skillet containing remaining bacon fat over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook remaining beef in single layer until deep brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer browned beef into slow cooker.

Add reserved bacon fat to now empty skillet and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add chopped onion, carrots and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until vegetables begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomato paste and stir until beginning to brown, about 45 seconds. Transfer mixture to slow cooker.

Return now empty skillet to high heat and add 1 1/2 cups wine, chicken broth and soy sauce. Simmer, scraping up brown bits, until pan bottom is clean, about 1 minute. Transfer wine mixture to slow cooker.

Stir bay leaves and tapioca into slow cooker. Set slow cooker on low, cover and cook until meat is fork-tender, about 9 hours.

In a skillet mix 1 tbs butter, 1 tbs sugar, 1/4 tsp salt and 1 cup of water place frozen pearl onions in the skillet, cover and let it cook on medium heat for 5-10 mins until the onions begin to caramelize, add mushrooms and 1/4 tsp salt cook another 3-5 minuets thoroughly caramelizing the mushrooms and pearl onions. Transfer the pearl onion/mushroom mixture into the slow cooker and cook for another 30 minuets.

When ready to serve, discard bay leaves and stir in reserved bacon(personally I served the bacon on the side seeing as the hubbs isn't crazy about pieces of bacon in his Beef Burgundy). In large skillet, bring remaining 1 cup wine to boil over high heat and simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Stir reduced wine and parsley into stew and adjust seasonings. Serve with buttered egg noodles, boiled potatoes, or mashed potatoes.

Recipe courtesy of America's Test Kitchen

This is about the best beef burgundy I've ever had. Rich sauce, fall-apart beef, just a beautifully developed recipe with nothing that I'd change for personal tastes.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks really delicious. Having recently done a freezer inventory I note that I have a pack of chuck steak so I may do a riff on this. Why do you think only half of the meat is browned?

I also note that the meat isn't marinated beforehand... which would be traditional.

Last edited:
Why do you think only half of the meat is browned?
I have no idea, but then again, I didn't read the extensive notes ATK includes with the recipe. If it's not in the notes, no doubt it's in the episode (not that I know which episode it came from), as that's ATK's whole schtick, that every step has a distinct purpose.

I'll check the notes when I get home and report back anything.

I have no idea, but then again, I didn't read the extensive notes ATK includes with the recipe. If it's not in the notes, no doubt it's in the episode (not that I know which episode it came from), as that's ATK's whole schtick, that every step has a distinct purpose.

I'll check the notes when I get home and report back anything.
I will make this in winter.
Thanks

Russ

It looks really delicious. Having recently done a freezer inventory I note that I have a pack of chuck steak so I may do a riff on this. Why do you think only half of the meat is browned?

I also note that the meat isn't marinated beforehand... which would be traditional.

I was watching either Binging with Babish or Basics with Babish recently, and he only browned half of his beef on this particular braised dish, and said half wouldn't crowd the pan, and he only needed that browned crust and fond from half the meat to get the desired flavor.

If I am browning a lot of meat, I split it into batches, but still brown all of it. I guess the other way is quicker, and still does the job.

I guess it makes sense, since I doubt you could tell which pieces of meat were browned after a two or three hour braise.

CD

I was watching either Binging with Babish or Basics with Babish recently, and he only browned half of his beef on this particular braised dish, and said half wouldn't crowd the pan, and he only needed that browned crust and fond from half the meat to get the desired flavor.

If I am browning a lot of meat, I split it into batches, but still brown all of it. I guess the other way is quicker, and still does the job.

I guess it makes sense, since I doubt you could tell which pieces of meat were browned after a two or three hour braise.

CD
The single mention of this from the notes from the recipe: "The usual first step in making a stew is to brown the meat, but we found we could get the same meaty flavor base from browning just half the meat."

The single mention of this from the notes from the recipe: "The usual first step in making a stew is to brown the meat, but we found we could get the same meaty flavor base from browning just half the meat."

Ah, sounds like we have the same opinion now from two trusted sources.

CD

Probably the reason being if you had to divide the meat in 2 batches, the fond from the first batch might get a bit too brown (i.e. black) if you weren't extremely careful.

Our most favorite recipe for boeuf bourguignon is out of Taste, David Rosengarten's cookbook and show, 1 of the originals on Food Network.

Back
Top Bottom