Recipe Beef Stock and Consommé

Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
11:47 AM
Beef Stock and Consommé
oni_13.jpg

oni_19.jpg

2.5-3.5 l/10.6-12.7 cups of finished stock/consommé (consommé is reduced and clarified) | Preparation and skimming 1-2 hours, cooking 6-8 hours, cooling overnight

Ingredients / Beef Stock
2 kg (4.4 lb) mixed meat, bones and/or entrails (I had beef entrecôte/loin, pork & beef bones and a pig’s heart) and a splash of evoo (optional)​
1 medium-sized leek (incl. green parts)​
4 medium-sized root parsleys, peeled​
A bunch of chives​
A bunch of thyme​
2 rinsed, unpeeled garlic bulbs​
3 rinsed and scrubbed, unpeeled red onions​
300 g (10.6 oz) root celery, peeled and cut into large chunks​
1 red chil(l)i, stem discarded, whole​
4-5 medium-sized carrots​
4 bay leaves​
2 teaspoons black peppercorns​
1 teaspoon white peppercorns​
4 l (4000 ml/17 cups) water​

Instructions / Beef Stock

Preheat the oven to 225°C/430°F/gas mark 7, no fan. Line a large oven pan/tin with parchment paper, scatter the meat/bones/entrails on top, (drizzle some evoo on top) and roast in the oven for 20 min. Add the roughly cut/whole veggies (excluding the herbs) and roast for another 20 minutes. Warm up 4000 ml water in a large pot, add the bay leaves, peppercorns, chives, thyme and roasted ingredients with their juices into the pot. Bring to boil and let simmer for 6-7 hours (or more if you want a very intense stock) on low temp without stirring. Skim the possible scum/froth and fat from the surface repeatedly in the beginning with a slotted spoon. When the stock is done, strain it coarsely into another pot and sieve more precisely through a cheesecloth or gauze. Let the stock cool in room temperature and refrigerate overnight (or keep outside if weather permits). Skim the rigid/stiff fat from the surface and reduce and clarify the stock into consommé (clarified beef stock) if you prefer.

Ingredients / Consommé (preparation and skimming ~20 min, cooking 1.5 hours)
800-1000 g (1.76-2.20 pounds) mixed vegetables (I had one orange bell pepper, 1 red onion, 4 parsley roots and 2 carrots; additional tomatoes/tomato paste or classic mirepoix: diced celery, carrots and onion can be used as well)​
6 egg whites​
4 tablespoons lemon juice​

Instructions / Consommé

Clarify the beef stock with egg whites. Help the clarifying process and intensify the flavor by adding diced vegetables (optional). Squeeze the lemon juice and cut the vegetables into tiny cubes/bits. Beat the egg whites into loose foam and mix with the lemon juice and diced vegetables. Bring the beef stock into boil, add the egg white-vegetable-lemon juice mix and mix until the egg whites start to cook. Turn on low heat and let the mixture simmer for about 1.5 hours without stirring. The egg whites and vegetables bind the loose particles and bring/bind them on the surface. When the consommé is done, take aside and skim the garbled surface layer carefully with a slotted spoon or make a hole big enough to scoop the clear consommé from beneath with a ladle. Finish by pouring the liquid once again through a cheesecloth-covered sieve.

oni_a.png

oni_b.png

Last edited:
And impressive and beautifully clear consommé. :okay:

I've never attempted it myself as we eat so little meat there are really no bones around.

I add the egg white mixture in before heating. As it comes up to a simmer the egg whites (raft) slowly start to rise to the surface removing most impurities as it goes. Adding to an already heated stock will immediately cause coagulation near the surface for the most part. Jmo.

Back
Top Bottom