Beer style

rosacrux

Veteran
Local time
5:06 PM
What is you favorite beer style? Do you like ales or lagers? I prefer lagers , specially pilsner beers.

I'm not really a beer drinker, but when I do have one, I like a lager - particularly German lagers, which seem to have more flavour and are not so gassy.

I have wide tastes but like something with a balanced hoppy style (like a bitter, IPA or a golden ale) or something rich and malty (a mild/ruby ale or a porter/stout).

At home I usually only drink lager if there isn't anything better available (for example if it's a choice of lager or a nitro-keg bitter :yuck: in a chain pub) but when I go abroad they are usually better flavoured so I'll happily sample them when on holiday.

Something that I've always tended to do is to have the local beer when travelling. You almost always get to enjoy something decent doing that.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I think I prefer pilsner beers. I'm not a beer expert, but I know I hate black ones like Guiness and bitter ones like IPA. I love softer beers like Blue Moon, Shock Top and Stella!

I haven't been able to find a beer that makes me say, "I will buy more of that". The last one I tried, Pacifico Light, was tolerable. I think I finished one of the mini bottles and if I ever wanted to buy beer, it would be that. For most beers, I can taste the barley/hops and I just can't make myself like that taste. They say beer is an acquired taste, but how can you make yourself like something, when you can't even finish a bottle/can?

I haven't been able to find a beer that makes me say, "I will buy more of that". The last one I tried, Pacifico Light, was tolerable. I think I finished one of the mini bottles and if I ever wanted to buy beer, it would be that. For most beers, I can taste the barley/hops and I just can't make myself like that taste. They say beer is an acquired taste, but how can you make yourself like something, when you can't even finish a bottle/can?
I think that beer probably is an acquired taste. Don't force yourself if you really don't like it - there are other choices.:thumbsup: Perhaps wine or cider instead?

I've just started drinking wine. My future mother-in-law took her son and I out for lunch, one day, and we tried a house red Moscato. I fell in love with it and have been trying various Moscato's since. I am scared to try any other style as I need something sweet. An ex-boyfriend's mother hated that I never found a wine I liked and would make me drink grape juice when they drank wine, so I would fit in. :rolleyes: Anyways, right now, that's something I need; something extremely sweet and juice like. I didn't care for Zinfandel when I tried that (to appease the ex). Other than that, I have no idea what wines are VERY sweet (yet).

I honestly can't choose. I do love stouts but then again they don't fit into all situations.
When traveling I always go for the local ones, just to taste them and see what it's like. At home I rarely drink beer.

I really like all kinds of beer. I have tried most of what is locally available, and even some imported ones. I really love those seasonal dark beers, that you can buy during the winter months. I think they are called "Bok" beers and have an elevated level of alcohol, I think 7%. Most beers in my country are only 5% at a maximum, so those dark ones are a treat. :D

I feel like IPA's have broken into the current "hipster" trend and are touted as the beer of choice for anyone who knows anything about beer. I'll be honest. I've never liked IPA's and I'm not going to pretend to like them just to sound like a beer snob.

The first beer I could even stand the taste of was Guinness, and I loved it. I still love it. Now I can drink almost anything, but I do not like pale ales and I don't really like most of the cheap beers like Miller, Bud, and PBR. (Though, my shameful secret is that I'm currently hooked on Budweiser Platinum, and I feel like a frat boy every time I drink it.)

When I'm at a restaurant, I'm most likely going to choose something on draft, and something local if possible. I like a light beer with Mexican food. I like an amber beer with just about anything. I like a dark beer when I'm just drinking and not eating much.

I feel like IPA's have broken into the current "hipster" trend and are touted as the beer of choice for anyone who knows anything about beer. I'll be honest. I've never liked IPA's and I'm not going to pretend to like them just to sound like a beer snob.

The first beer I could even stand the taste of was Guinness, and I loved it. I still love it. Now I can drink almost anything, but I do not like pale ales and I don't really like most of the cheap beers like Miller, Bud, and PBR. (Though, my shameful secret is that I'm currently hooked on Budweiser Platinum, and I feel like a frat boy every time I drink it.)

When I'm at a restaurant, I'm most likely going to choose something on draft, and something local if possible. I like a light beer with Mexican food. I like an amber beer with just about anything. I like a dark beer when I'm just drinking and not eating much.

Guinness is really good. One of the best beers out there in my opinion. I like that bitter taste and the fact that it looks like coffee when freshly poured into your glass. I also order mostly draft beer when having a meal at a restaurant. Spicy food goes extremely well with beer in any case.

I like a pale ale, however, we have many different types of beer that claim to be a pale ale and they are quite different. For me, I like a little darkness - more an IPA style beer. We have "Keiths" here which calls itself a pale ale but I do not care for it. Some of the seasonal craft beers are fantastic, but they are not really every day drinking beer. While I usually would have wine when dining out, clairebeautiful has reminded me that I do order beer with Mexican and Japanese (I dislike Sake) and I often want a light beer to contrast the heavy meal.

What is you favorite beer style? Do you like ales or lagers? I prefer lagers , specially pilsner beers.

I really enjoy a good lager, especially the amber ones. I’ve had some good ales, but it seems like so many of them taste extremely bitter to me, perhaps it’s my taste buds, but I’ve tried a variety of ales and lagers, and I have to say the amber ones are my favorite by far. They have a good, robust flavor, but not too strong. They’re a good balance of richness, but don’t sacrifice good flavor for strong flavor.

My favorite is undoubtedly wheat beer (Hefeweizen). I'm not sure what the most common term for this in English is... I've been in Germany too long, apparently. I've heard it called white beer too. I really love the full body of it and the variety of flavor tones in it. Pilsner is often too bitter for me.

Back
Top Bottom