Beer!

Hey Phil

Beer reacts badly to sunlight - it breaks down the alpha acids produced from the hops giving rise to off-flavours, so you end up with light-struck or skunked beer. Probably explains why Sol is served with a slice of lime in the neck and extremely cold - the beer itself is very likely spoiled!

Clear glass may not be problematic if the beer is drunk soon after production, but innes and gunn is sold as a craft beer and a bit pricey I think. I would expect good quality beer to be packaged in brown glass which will filter out the wavelengths which cause skunking.

Slightly off topic but I heard a long time ago that Sol and Corona had lime or lemon put in them to keep flies out, I even feel stupid writing that!

I'm not really into beer at all, but I do make an exception when we're out on Dartmoor. I'll go to one of the pubs in Princetown and have a Jail Ale - it's absolutely wonderful, and it's the only beer that I ever drink.

By the way, Phil, if you're ever in Bilston, near Wolverhampton, look in at The Olde White Rose. The selection of real ales there will make your eyes water and your legs wobble.

I think it's Blandford Fly rather than Flyer, but I know what you mean about the taste. It's one of the rare beers I definitely don't like.
I saw this beer in a local supermarket recently and note that they have rebranded it to Blandford Flyer. Apologies to @Penguinking9 for correcting you unnecessarily - It was definitely Blandford Fly when I last tried it.:oops:

Has anyone else tried any of the Chimay brewery beers? They are really delicious, I especially fell in love with the Red one. And even though reading about it makes you think it'd be super expensive (brewed in a monastery etc) they really are not! All of the different ones are worth trying but if you have to choose one, try the Red.

Has anyone else tried any of the Chimay brewery beers? They are really delicious, I especially fell in love with the Red one. And even though reading about it makes you think it'd be super expensive (brewed in a monastery etc) they really are not! All of the different ones are worth trying but if you have to choose one, try the Red.

I've tried all of the regular ones - white, red and blue. They are great beers, but blue is the one I like best. If you like Chimay, have a try of Rochefort's beers if you can track them down.

I've tried all of the regular ones - white, red and blue. They are great beers, but blue is the one I like best. If you like Chimay, have a try of Rochefort's beers if you can track them down.

They are not hard to find here and I've tried at least one of them. Not 100% sure which one it was but the red looks familiar. It certainly was excellent!

I agree red is the best, I'm absurdly fond of the little chalices they serve it in :wink:

I also like to try new beers when traveling and being in Mexico I found very good and traditional beers such as Corona, Victoria, Modelo Especial, Negra Modelo among my favorite ones.

They said that Kloster was really a traditional and tasty beer, but I could only found the lager variety, but I dislike lager beers. I prefer dark beer above all others and regardless I'm drinking it at home or abroad.

I'm definitely a red and amber ale kind of girl. I'm really lucky in that I have five microbreweries in my area!

I'm definitely a red and amber ale kind of girl. I'm really lucky in that I have five microbreweries in my area!
Would you like to tell us more? What are the breweries and which of their beers do you like?

My local shop has recently started stocking a nice one that I hadn't previously tried: White Star from the Titanic Brewery of Stoke on Trent. Very nice as it's a lot like a good French blonde beer.:thumbsup: They also do a pale ale called Iceberg which is very drinkable.

Would you like to tell us more? What are the breweries and which of their beers do you like?

My local shop has recently started stocking a nice one that I hadn't previously tried: White Star from the Titanic Brewery of Stoke on Trent. Very nice as it's a lot like a good French blonde beer.:thumbsup: They also do a pale ale called Iceberg which is very drinkable.
Mad River Brewery has an amazing red ale called Jamaica Red as well as a nice pale ale called Steelhead Extra Pale Ale. Another great local brewery is Redwood Curtain. They aren't bottling their stuff yet but it's on tap at local bars and restaurants and they have a really fun tasting room.

I've recently come to love Abita, especially their Purple Haze. It's smooth, but not TOO sweet and fruity. It's the perfect blend without feeling like I'm just drinking candy.

The tipple I am enjoying this evening and shall have some more of tomorrow (Christmas day). From Britain's oldest brewery:

DSC02294.JPG

It has a maltiness like a continental blonde beer, a hint of hoppiness similar to an IPA and a fruity aftertaste. Very nice.:thumbsup: :hungry:

Back
Top Bottom