Recipe Beetroot Buns

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:29 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk

Beetroot is a great addition to buns or breads in general. Its slightly sweet aftertaste just fits perfectly here as it is not sweet-overwhelming and a savoury filling just calls for these cute pliable small round pinkish buns. My filling for them is butter and smoked salmon with fennel leaves.

Makes 6 to 8 buns, Preparation 15 min + 2 hrs rising, Cooking about 20 mins

• 2 pre-cooked beetroots
  • 80 ml whole milk, lukewarm
  • 200 g strong white bread flour + 50 g durum wheat semolina flour
  • 1 tsp fine salt
  • 20 g caster sugar for the dough + a tsp for dissolving the yeast
  • 5 g active dry brewer’s yeast, to dissolve in a glass of lukewarm water
  • 1 free-range egg for egg-wash
  • 150 g unsalted soft butter, cubed
  • sesame seeds, to taste

Method

Tip: dry brewer’s yeast is best dissolved in half a glass of water or even lukewarm milk – never boiling nor cold – with the addition of a teaspoon of sugar. Then stir so that all the granules are dissolved and leave it for about 10 minutes or until it begins to foam, a sign that the yeast has been activated and ready for use.

Place the pre-cooked beetroot in a mixer and blend it until pureed.

Slightly heat the milk in a saucepan or the microwave. It has to be lukewarm, not hot.

In a bowl sieve the flours, add the lukewarm water with the yeast in that you have previously dissolved, add the beetroot mixture and mix. Add cubed soft butter, 20 g of sugar, pour in the lukewarm milk a little at a time stirring with a wooden spoon and add the salt at the end. Now knead with your hands until the dough is soft and does not stick to your hands.

Beetroot-dough.jpg

Put the dough into a bowl and cover with a damp kitchen towel.

Leave it to rise in a warm place for 2 hours or until it has doubled in size.

Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface (I suggest to dust with semolina’s flour) and knead lightly to knock out the air, start to form it into small equal-sized loaves.
Place them well apart on a baking tray lined with baking paper and let them rise again for another 20 minutes covered again with a kitchen towel.

Egg-wash the surface of the rolls, add sesame seeds to taste.
Pre heat the oven to 200C, bake for 10 mins, then reduce the oven’s temperature to 180C for another 10 or 15 mins until they have become a golden colour. Allow to cool down, filling to your like.

Buns-pronti.jpg

Last edited:
Wow...these are really pretty. I'm guessing there's an earthy quality to the beets that comes through. This does sound like a perfect pairing with smoked salmon (rather than something greasy like hamburger). I'm guessing you'll need extra napkins handy to avoid staining everything you touch after picking it up (or is that not an issue?)

Wow...these are really pretty. I'm guessing there's an earthy quality to the beets that comes through. This does sound like a perfect pairing with smoked salmon (rather than something greasy like hamburger). I'm guessing you'll need extra napkins handy to avoid staining everything you touch after picking it up (or is that not an issue?)

Thank you, I really liked the sweetish combination of the buns with the smoked salmon. I will make them again. I also liked the combination of mozzarella and tomato but the one with the salmon remains in first place.
Yes, the beets do stain your hands a bit when you touch them, but I don't remember having any particular problems with stains nor when I started kneading

They would make a lovely Valentine's Day burger or sandwich! Oh, so I don't even know if that's a holiday observed in Italy and other countries, honestly. But they are very pretty :)

Back
Top Bottom