Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I only like it in certain dishes or cooked in certain ways

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I can take it or leave it

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
I absolutely love beetroot, especially hot out of the boiling pan. Perhaps I'm unusual but I also eat beetroot and the tops raw. I use a serrated wavy blade grater to make raw beetroot strings to add to salads and use as garnish.

I'd forgotten it could be eaten raw. Maybe I'd like it more that way. Beetroot tops I do like. Its a shame they always get cut off if you buy raw beetroot in the supermarket.

I made these coconut-beet samosas as part of the coconut challenge. But, it was really always all about the beets. This is still my favorite way to make samosas (I excluded the coconut the next time I made them).

View attachment 27691

I also regularly have a massive jar of pickled beets at the ready. I make them with cinnamon, cloves, garlic, salt, apple vinegar, serrano peppers, and a scant amount of sugar (unlike the usual methods that are heavy on the sugar). I am saddened when I get a Greek salad in a restaurant and the beets they use are limp and tasteless. But, that just makes me want to go home and make a Greek salad of my own..with my beets.

Love both those ways, you should try the samosas I put up recently, a fave with my family. In fact I'm doing beef samosas this afternoon. The vege ones are in the freezer.

Russ

I absolutely love beetroot, especially hot out of the boiling pan. Perhaps I'm unusual but I also eat beetroot and the tops raw. I use a serrated wavy blade grater to make raw beetroot strings to add to salads and use as garnish.

So does my wife when I'm bottling Beetroot. Or as mum used to call it....policemans delight.

Russ

I grew some when we had room for a bigger garden. The reason you don't often see the greens is because they go limp and yucky looking pretty quickly after being pulled. I would use them in a pasta dish, along with beetroot when I grew them.

I really love them roasted, but I like pickled beets too.

Last edited:
I just found a recipe for a salad with roasted beets, gorgonzola and walnuts in my cache of need to be put into the computer recipes I just found/remembered I had.

That sounds like good combo: tangy & salty, Gorgonzola, sweet & earthy beetroot and a hint of bitterness from the walnuts. I'm sure I have a recipe on the forum somewhere with blue cheese and walnuts...

Beetroot is ready to cook and bottle it. Should be enough to make 6 jars. Pics when I start. Maybe the weekend, but I have croquettes to make first.

Russ
Damn, son...do ever stop to take a breath? You are downright prolific, sir. When do you have time to do it all?

So, take a break. I mean, of course, after you post your jars of beet root.

Beetroot is much beloved by Chefs - probably due to its dramatic colour. But perhaps like me, your first experience of beetroot was in School Dinner salads - and it was the kind of beetroot which came out of jars and had been pickled in very acidic vinegar. Not the best way to eat beetroot in my opinion.

Later I came across it ready cooked in vacuum packs and that was/is a different experience - simply cooked (steamed, microwaved, baked, boiled) its sweet and earthy. More recently I've cooked it myself and explored different colours such as golden beet. But you know what? I'm still not over keen. I can take it or leave it. If anything its a bit to sweet for my taste.

What about you? Do you like beetroot and how do you cook/use it?

When I was a child, I hated beetroot, but perhaps I was more in awe of that purple red color that discouraged me with every bite. Obviously it was a food that I often found in the school lunch and that I regularly trimmed to the classmate or even tried to hide in some way but with bad results. The maximum then was when I found the beetroot both at school and at home in the same day, waiting for me for dinner (it was probably the one I hadn't eaten at school and had followed me home).
Then growing up I started to appreciate it very much, even if it is not one of those foods that I put on top of my shopping list. When I remember, I buy it and eat it willingly, possibly already pre-cooked (for a matter of time), topped with salt and oil and a pinch of pepper, or accompanied by cheese or salad along with other vegetables. But the color it leaves on hands is still unbearable.

Back
Top Bottom