Recipe Berbere Spice Mix

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
5:28 AM
Berbere Spice Mix:

NOTE: Berbere is an Ethiopian spice mix which is used in many Ethiopian dishes and more recently, globally, in other dishes. It is a complex mixture of many spices which may vary depending upon the preparer.

full.jpg

Ingredients:
1) Chilli powder - 1 tspn.
2) Paprika - 1/4 cup
3) Habanero pepper, ground - 1 tspn.
4) Cinnamon - 1 tspn.
5) Nutmeg - 1 tspn.
6) Allspice - 1 tspn.
7) Cilantro (coriander) - 1 tspn.
8) Basil - 1 tspn.
9) Cumin - 1 tspn.
10) Fenugreek leaves - 1 tspn.
11) Cardamon - 1 tspn.
12) Cloves - 1 tspn.
13) Black mustard seed - 1 tspn.
14) Ginger root - 1 tspn.
15) Black Peppercorns - 1 tblspn.

NOTE: Berbere spice mix will usually contain garlic and onion powder which has been left out of this mixture to allow it to be dry stored while using fresh garlic and onion when the mixture is used.

Procedure:

1) Fine chop the ginger root.
2) Crush the cloves and cardamon.
3) In a small pan, toast the ginger root, fenugreek, cardamon, cloves, nutmeg, cilantro, cinnamon and allspice by heating for 1 minute at medium-high heat.
4) Mix all listed spices and package for later use.

Last edited:
The funny thing here is that I copy and pasted the recipe straight out of a text file on my computer and it is not misspelled in that file. ??? So I'm not sure how that got messed up.

BTW: I think I need to buy a spice grinder for my future spice mixes.

The funny thing here is that I copy and pasted the recipe straight out of a text file on my computer and it is not misspelled in that file. ??? So I'm not sure how that got messed up.

The only thing I can think is that my portable keyboard must have slipped and struck some keys and I did not catch it.

I guessed it was a hot pepper, so I added ground chili de arbol; I didn’t have access to dried habanero anyway, so it looks like I made the right decision.

This is much better than the store bought berbere that I have in my pantry.

Great! Did you get that fantastic aroma in the air as you finished the mix up? My place held that aroma for a couple days. I think the fenugreek contributed mostly to it.

Yes...that and roasting the spices in the pan, too.

When I researched Berbere spice mix, I was quite surprised to find some folks who roasted some of the spices before mixing them together. I got curious enough to do likewise and the results were very much understandable, afterwards. It opens a whole new avenue to using spices.

Back
Top Bottom