Recipe Berbere Spice Mix

When I researched Berbere spice mix, I was quite surprised to find some folks who roasted some of the spices before mixing them together. I got curious enough to do likewise and the results were very much understandable, afterwards. It opens a whole new avenue to using spices.

Roasting spices first (usually in a dry pan) is a classic method for making Indian curry. It really brings out the aroma.

I saw the Berbere mix in my local Harissa spice store...might give it a try next shop time...
I am curious if it goes with fish...

I saw the Berbere mix in my local Harissa spice store...might give it a try next shop time...
I am curious if it goes with fish...

I suppose it could go with fish. I originally did a beef recipe with it. The Late Night Gourmet has stated in a post that the store bought berbere spice mix he got did not compare with the mix that I put forward in this recipe. I never bought berbere mix from the store and my mix is the first time I ever tried it. I was very satisfied and pleased with it and still, today, have plenty left for doing other things.

Berbere spice originates in Ethiopia, if I recall.

I typically don't do spice mixes, as I combine spices as a cook, as a rule. But there are some mixes that do need to be prepared in advance. And I have done a couple of these and posted recipes for them here at CB. One is a liquid spice mix which is divided into a mash and a coulis, - Spice Islands Mash and Coulis. This was a very interesting spice mix as it gave two derived parts that needed to be prepared in advance.

Back
Top Bottom