'Best' china

Royal doulton is a name I'm very familiar with. We have some. From my maternal great grandparents. They were rich.

Russ

It is pretty expensive, but we didn't have to buy more than a few odds and ends that we didn't get for wedding presents. We got married in our early 30s, and had 300-plus guests at our wedding, so our friends were all in a position to spend more than they would have ten years earlier, so we got almost everything within a few weeks of the wedding. One of the advantages of waiting to get married a little later.

CD

It is pretty expensive, but we didn't have to buy more than a few odds and ends that we didn't get for wedding presents. We got married in our early 30s, and had 300-plus guests at our wedding, so our friends were all in a position to spend more than they would have ten years earlier, so we got almost everything within a few weeks of the wedding. One of the advantages of waiting to get married a little later.

CD

Being a red blooded teen I wasn't careful. Married at 18 but we flatted before that at 17 with a baby.
300 guests wow. Must have been huge??
We had about 6 friends and family. Registry office and $10.
You had a great start to life. :)

Russ

BTW, I got this photo at Replacements, Inc. They sell and buy used China.

CD

Those places are rip offs. They charge buying customers an arm and a leg for replacements, but will only pay a very few pennies on the dollar if you are selling, and you only get a price AFTER they receive the china. Plus, you have to ship your china to them at your cost, then they will determine if there is any breakage and how much they are willing to pay for them. You can't argue with them about breakage and, if you aren't happy with what they are offering, you have to pay shipment costs back. I have my doubts about how well it would be packed if someone decides they want their china back.

You are better off buying and selling on Ebay than one of those places.

I looked into selling when the girls told me they didn't want it. They can deal with the hassle of selling it or use it for every day themselves, or give it away. I won't be around to care.

And, who knows, one of the DGDs may decide she wants it when they finally move out and find out how much it costs to set up a household.

If you are shopping for pretty china for photos or serving pieces thrift stores and garage sales are a good place to shop. For several years my youngest sister upscaled and sold American antiques. She also sold anything interesting that she found at a good price. She found a small Waterford dish at a garage sale for .25, sold it for $75. On two occasions she found large Waterford pieces at a Goodwill shop. She paid $9 for one and $15 for the other. Each piece was worth over $3,000. She gave one to each of her daughters. Middle sister found an eight-place setting set of Lenox china at a garage sale for $50.

If you are shopping for pretty china for photos or serving pieces thrift stores and garage sales are a good place to shop. For several years my youngest sister upscaled and sold American antiques. She also sold anything interesting that she found at a good price. She found a small Waterford dish at a garage sale for .25, sold it for $75. On two occasions she found large Waterford pieces at a Goodwill shop. She paid $9 for one and $15 for the other. Each piece was worth over $3,000. She gave one to each of her daughters. Middle sister found an eight-place setting set of Lenox china at a garage sale for $50.
Nice to see you!

Being a red blooded teen I wasn't careful. Married at 18 but we flatted before that at 17 with a baby.
300 guests wow. Must have been huge??
We had about 6 friends and family. Registry office and $10.
You had a great start to life. :)

Russ

There was a Truck Stop near Port Arthur that had a vending machine in the men's room (toilet) that sold items that prevent becoming a surprise father. :wink: Only 50-cents each back then. Cheap insurance.

Sorry MG, I'm off-topic, and I don't think you'll want to start a new thread on this topic. :laugh:

CD

Those places are rip offs. They charge buying customers an arm and a leg for replacements, but will only pay a very few pennies on the dollar if you are selling, and you only get a price AFTER they receive the china. Plus, you have to ship your china to them at your cost, then they will determine if there is any breakage and how much they are willing to pay for them. You can't argue with them about breakage and, if you aren't happy with what they are offering, you have to pay shipment costs back. I have my doubts about how well it would be packed if someone decides they want their china back.

You are better off buying and selling on Ebay than one of those places.

I looked into selling when the girls told me they didn't want it. They can deal with the hassle of selling it or use it for every day themselves, or give it away. I won't be around to care.

And, who knows, one of the DGDs may decide she wants it when they finally move out and find out how much it costs to set up a household.

I bought a few pieces of Wedgwood earthenware there to replace broken pieces, but never sold anything to them. I tried to sell my parent's Wedgwood fine china to them, but they had no interest. I didn't even get a low-ball offer. But in fairness, it was not a very pretty pattern, IMO.

CD

Sorry MG, I'm off-topic, and I don't think you'll want to start a new thread on this topic. :laugh:
‘Tis a pity, as I could regale the forum with tales of when I was the Squadron Prophylactic Monitor (yes, that was the official additional duty title) during about three years or so of my time in the AF. :laugh:

BACK ON TOPIC!!
Here's some of the china we've got here at home.
The first pic is what we had as a wedding present. 42 years ago. Ricardo Ginori, Italy. 12 sets of plates, small plates, soup dishes, cups, saucers, saucieres, etc. Used about once every 5 years.
The second pic is my MIL's china - it says it's Japanese porcelain, and it's about 75 years old. There are at least 15 complete sets here...
The third pic is the crystal glassware from our wedding. Never been used. French lead crystal. Some of the glasses still have the original labels on them. Additionally, we've probably got about 100 additional lead crystal glasses: champagne flutes, white and red wine glasses, whisky tumblers, brandy snifters, sherry glasses, etc.
Did I say my wife is a hoarder?

Italian Porcelain 1.jpg
Japanese Porcelain .jpg
Lead Crystal glasses.jpg

BACK ON TOPIC!!
Here's some of the china we've got here at home.
The first pic is what we had as a wedding present. 42 years ago. Ricardo Ginori, Italy. 12 sets of plates, small plates, soup dishes, cups, saucers, saucieres, etc. Used about once every 5 years.
The second pic is my MIL's china - it says it's Japanese porcelain, and it's about 75 years old. There are at least 15 complete sets here...
The third pic is the crystal glassware from our wedding. Never been used. French lead crystal. Some of the glasses still have the original labels on them. Additionally, we've probably got about 100 additional lead crystal glasses: champagne flutes, white and red wine glasses, whisky tumblers, brandy snifters, sherry glasses, etc.
Did I say my wife is a hoarder?

View attachment 103929View attachment 103930View attachment 103931
They look lovely!

We have a set of fine china that we use when we have guests for dinner. On a day to day basis we use plain white Chinese made ironstone dinnerware. We also have a set of sterling silverware that was a wedding gift for my parents. Guests only. I hate to maintain it.

We also have a set of sterling silverware that was a wedding gift for my parents. Guests only. I hate to maintain it.

An absolute pain. If you can't afford servants, forget the silver! I have a few single silver items I use as props for food photos. I use several bits unpolished in that context. Its a vintage look... yeah, I know. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom