Best for stews: Pressure or Slow Cooker?

snaptoast

Local time
1:05 PM
As I've made my last stew (a Mexican Beef Stew -- the secret ingredient? Porto!), I made it in a normal pot and cared for the growing tastes and smells as the food was cooking slowly. Not as slowly as with a slowcooker, but still too slow for my raging appetite. I love to be able to add to and correct the recipe as I go, which is why I never went for the "putting everything in a slow cooker and going out" option, even if it seems very useful, and the pressure cooker seems like something you close and let cook.

However, after waiting three hours for my dinner to finish, I could not help but think that either options might have been less frustrating. My mom swears by her pressure cooker, even as other people say that if food is not cooked slow, it doesn't have enough love in it! But I'm having trouble seeing how something you just chop and dump in the slowcooker has more love.

Thoughts? What do you like to use the most for making stews? Any pro or con?

I like the stew out of a slow cooker but I usually do it when I am home so I can still manipulate it and not add all in at once.

The only thing I ever used a pressure cooker for was to cook dry beans, they make me a bit nervous after seeing the damage done when my Ex's mom had the lid blow off her pressure cooker. I think maybe she needed a new..sorry don't know correct name....but the round rubber piece that fit in the lid to make sure it is a tight snug fit when closed. I like crook pot cooking but only use the crook pot when I am home. I know many people set it up and have it cooking while they are away at work and their meal is done when they return home but I am afraid to do this because if anything went wrong and there was a fire, as unlikely as that occurring may be, as a animal rescuer and foster, there would be animals lives at stake besides losing our home.

I use my pressure cooker for soups and stews nearly as often as I use my slow cooker, getting good results from both. If I use my slow cooker, I tend to start it at night right before I go to bed (on low), adding the late-add things sometime in the morning so that the soup or stew is ready by noon. I use the pressure cooker when I've decided that I want to make an unplanned soup or stew quickly during the day; which, as I've said, happens to be about as often as I plan and make one overnight.

The only thing I ever used a pressure cooker for was to cook dry beans, they make me a bit nervous after seeing the damage done when my Ex's mom had the lid blow off her pressure cooker. I think maybe she needed a new..sorry don't know correct name....but the round rubber piece that fit in the lid to make sure it is a tight snug fit when closed. I like crook pot cooking but only use the crook pot when I am home. I know many people set it up and have it cooking while they are away at work and their meal is done when they return home but I am afraid to do this because if anything went wrong and there was a fire, as unlikely as that occurring may be, as a animal rescuer and foster, there would be animals lives at stake besides losing our home.
I am exactly the same way. Too many possible scenarios and what ifs that could happen! I cant stand how some people leave the regular oven on and run out to the store! I am too paranoid for that.

I have never used a pressure cooker because they can be dangerous. I swear by my slow cooker and use it all of the time. I will only use the slow cooker if I have enough time to be near the meal all day and cam make it perfect by adding things as the day goes on.

I don't have a pressure cooker yet, but it is on my list of wanted kitchen equipment. I do have a slow cooker though and I use it at least once or twice a week. I especially like to use it for stews when I use lesser quality, or tougher cuts of meat.

Anyone who's never tried using a pressure cooker before, or even thinks that they're dangerous without even trying to learn a little bit more about them, they'll quickly assume the wrong things about them. And so, one automatically assumes that the worst is about to happen. Their #1 fear of them, above all else, believe it or not, is that it might blow up during use.

But when used properly, and according to the manufacturer's instructions, they are just as safe as an ordinary pot. I still have YET to hear about one having blown up. Because there are built-in safety features that help preclude that mishap from ever happening.

They're met with very strict manufacturing safety standards and comply with Underwriters' Labratories (their 2-letter logo is stamped on these and most other consumer products for home use), meaning that they are very safe to use and meet or exceed all safety requirements set forth by the U.S. Gov't. The only time that they would ever become dangerous to use is if the owner or consumer messes up in some way and puts himself or herself in harm's way. This is why very strict instructions are given and should be followed with each one.

Respect the unit and the use of one, and it'll give you many, many, many years of safe, trouble-free reliable and enjoyable operation. Replace the gaskets, handles and other parts when they begin to crack or wear out (I've done that with one of mine, I've replaced the gasket and handles, and it still works like new), and you'll be helping the unit maintain its reliable trouble-free & safe qualities.

In other words, treat it right, and it'll be your friend for life. Just make sure that you "dot the i's and cross the t's". That's a true guarrantee!

And if nature calls during the time that the unit is in use, then just turn the burner down a little until you came back to the stove. I can't even BEGIN to tell you how many times nature has called while I was cooking something in any of my 3 pressure cookers!!! You['l be fine. But if you still feel that the cute li'l Deni unit might work for you, then by all means, go for it!!

You CAN improvise however, by browning the meat in a skillet before putting it in the pressure cooker. I'll help you if you decide to get the Deni unit. I'll be new at using an electric one. My manual ones are safe to use, and I keep them that way. :eek:

Last edited:
I would still be scared to use one even if I followed the instructions. My luck I would get the faulty one. I really like my slow cooker, but would not keep it on when I was not home.

You must try to have some confidence in yourself. If you don't, then you will never be able to get rid of your fears about using one. :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
I would still be scared to use one even if I followed the instructions. My luck I would get the faulty one. I really like my slow cooker, but would not keep it on when I was not home.
I'm just wondering how you feel about using a toaster, a kettle, a microwave or even an oven then?

I have had all of them fail. The latter one literally did explode when one of the elements exploded. It does not mean I have stopped using one.

I have also had a microwave fail on me and if I had not have been in the same room as it when it failed it would have had the pure total to burn down the block of flats we lived in. It suddenly started to belch out toxic black smaller from the back of it (air vents) whilst I was next to it. My choices were to lean over it and then it off at the mains, or just leave it to it's own devices. I went with the first option. It put me in hospital with toxic smoke inhalation and a severe asthma attack that resulted in me being resuscitated, but it seemed a better option that burning down the block of flats.

A kettle can easily boil dry if the safe guards built into it fail, the same as a pressure cooker. A toaster is no different....

There are plenty of other things around a home that can cause problems as well, take central heating boilers for example...

Before the microwave oven that I have now, the previous one before it would stay on with the door opened!! The glass panel in the window had cracked, also, so I had come to the realization that it was about to be called home. It was 13 years old, and it was a small one. :eek:

So since I had to get another one, I thought to myself; "Well, I might as well get a large one just for the sake of having more room inside and more wattage for far faster cooking." The old one, I put it out on the sidewalk with the trash. It was a godsend to someone else who picked it up & took it home! It still worked well. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom