Best Way to Cook Pollock?

Mika

Veteran
Local time
2:25 PM
What is your favorite way to cook pollock? I usually cook mine on the stove with a bit of water in it. I rub garlic, basil, a bit of oregano and some pepper on it and let it cook for a few minutes before flipping. Sometimes I toss a little lemon juice in too. I've seen a few posters talk about grilling their fish, has anyone tried it with pollock?

The Pollock available at my grocery stores is usually quite thin, similar to a Tilapia but longer. Because of that, i find it a bit tricky to grill, but it can be done. You're better off if you can get fresh Pollock vs. the frozen variety which is often soaked in a solution to make it swell, but also makes the meat more mushy. I would thoroughly thaw it, then pat it very dry on some paper towel, place it on a plate or cutting board and brush some olive oil on it then season with salt, pepper, and whatever other herbs and spices you like, then grill it.

If you've got an electric food steamer, those work fantastic for making steamed fish. They're especially good for more delicate pieces of fish like this, and you cannot get any healthier than steaming food to cook it. I've also hear of people poaching seafood in butter over a gentle heat - I've seen them do it with lobster on cooking shows, but I would imagine any seafood would work with that method.

My mom likes to simply dust the fish with cracker meal, salt and pepper - she doesn't even use an egg batter, then she shallow fries the fish in some oil.

I treat it the same as cod,I prefer it baked ie with spinach and moray sauce Or deep fried in batter. It does steam a grill well but the flakes tend to open up

The only pollock I have ever eaten was used as imitation crab meat. I think it was called Sea Legs. It looks like crab but it's really Alaskan pollock as the main ingredient. It mimics crab meat in texture and looks. It's a lot cheaper and an easy way to have a "crab" sandwich.

Attachments

• imitation_crab_flak.jpg
    imitation_crab_flak.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 321
The only pollock I have ever eaten was used as imitation crab meat. I think it was called Sea Legs. It looks like crab but it's really Alaskan pollock as the main ingredient. It mimics crab meat in texture and looks. It's a lot cheaper and an easy way to have a "crab" sandwich.

This is the only pollock that I have ever eaten too. I am assuming everybody is referring to something different because I never thought of cooking this stuff. I either have it on sandwich or I put it in my seafood chowder.

CN_Atlantic_Pollock_560.jpg
What is pollock? I Googled it found this fellow here. I am sorry he's taking up the entire screen and would be happy to see it served on a plate. I don't know this kind of fish unless we call it by another name.

Back
Top Bottom