Between Christmas day and New Year's Eve

Local time
10:56 AM
I find the time between Christmas day and New Year's Eve to be a very peaceful time, somewhat like a time of reflection, looking back on the old while at the same time looking forward to the new. All the hustle and bustle of preparing for Christmas day itself is over and everyone is looking towards the new year with anticipation. I tend to like this part of the Christmas season. There is a period of quiet just before everyone gets into the swing of things again with Old Year's Night parties, fireworks and the like.

How do you normally spend the time between Christmas and New Year's Eve?

In this household it is manic.

• We have a family birthday on the 24th.
  • We have as friend's birthday on the 26th which is also traditionally another holiday in the UK (Boxing Day) and Ireland (St. Stephen's Day)
  • We got married on the 27th, some 18 years ago...
  • The 28th we get off for good behaviour!
  • However, there are 2 immediate family birthdays on the 29th
  • The 30th is a recovery day from the 29th...
  • Then everything starts again with New Year's Eve (Hogmanay)
  • Family traditionally get together again on the 1st...
By now we are usually all very grateful for the 'festive' season to be over!

In this household it is manic.

Well I must say you have a lot to celebrate around this time. When the season passes I am sure you breathe a sigh of relief, as well as having a lot to look back on. The day after Christmas day is a holiday for us here too, and it is also known as Boxing day. It is usually spent very quietly, like a recovery from the day before. I do not usually celebrate again until Old Year's Night and New Year's Day. After New Year's Day, it is back to normal everyday life.

We do our best to ignore as much as possible. Many years ago we took the decision to go on holiday over the Christmas period. We started doing that the best part of 22 years ago and it was probably the best thing we ever did. Sadly my back injury has put pay to that this year and ask the phone has done since is ring and ring to the point where my mobile is on silent and the brother-in-law with whom I share a birthday today has already been spoken to.

March is actually worse believe it or not. There are 5 birthdays, a wedding anniversary and mother's day (twice, one for each) plus occasional Easter manages an appearance as well all inside 2 weeks. Sadly October is also heading that way as well with 4 birthdays and a wedding anniversary inside 2 weeks :sleep:

Everyone of these birthdays are immediate family birthdays, so the 2 friends birthdays on the 1st January also have to be taken into account and there is also a smaller cluster 3 immediate family birthdays at the beginning of December as well.

I reached the conclusion a number of years ago that the best thing I could do was ignore my birthday and have a half birthday on the 29th June where myself and my husband go out for a nice meal!

My husband loves to cook so today and tomorrow we will have some really delicious food, he has more time to cook over this holiday so he relaxes and enjoys.

Our lunch today: pigeon breast on a pillow of leek and oyster mushroom, seared cauliflower, picked watercress and port jus

DSC_0530.JPG

Wow, Lulabelle, that looks like something from a fancy restaurant! Looks absolutely delicious! The tableware looks amazing too!

The time in between Christmas and New Years is usually spent cleaning up the tornado that went through my house as a result of the holidays...I have 2 kids so you can just use your imagination. It is also the time in which we spend some time relaxing and watching a lot of movies. Our family does not do birthday get togethers for everyone's birthday and I am glad for that, it sounds exhausting!

Wow, Lulabelle, that looks like something from a fancy restaurant! Looks absolutely delicious! The tableware looks amazing too!
Thank you. <checks to see if you are in the UK> I do love creative cooking. I pick ideas up from resteraunts and harvest techniques from the telly. Masterchef - the professionals is a particular favourite, there are so many little tricks and methods to watch for and build into my recipes.

BTW Tablewear is Ikea.

Back
Top Bottom