Birmingham, Balti and Michelin stars

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:26 AM
I am very excited! I am off to Birmingham next week with my friend. We stay in a cheap hotel (Travel Lodge) and we eat in a Michelin starred restaurant. Well, OK, its the lunch time menu (£35 for 3 courses). But at least I get to try that food. Its Glyn Purnell's restaurant: www.purnellsrestaurant.com/

The day before we are hitting the Balti triangle. Worryingly, I can find no very good current reviews for this famous destination so I haven't booked anything. Has it gone downhill? If you have recommendations then please let me know!

Last edited:
My mother used to think that the world ended at Birmingham. Until she went there and found out it did!

Well last time I went there it was buzzing - that was a few years ago for the Good Food Show - the centre of Birmingham also had a massive German Christmas market. Its the largest outside Germany

german-christmas-market-w5a0700-1024x683.jpg

Last edited:
I am very excited! I am off to Birmingham next week with my friend. We stay in a cheap hotel (Travel Lodge) and we eat in a Michelin starred restaurant. Well, OK, its the lunch time menu (£35 for 3 courses). But at least I get to try that food. Its Glyn Purnell's restaurant: www.purnellsrestaurant.com/

The day before we are hitting the Balti triangle. Worryingly, I can find no very good current reviews for this famous destination so I haven't booked anything. Has it gone downhill? If you have recommendations then please let me know!

@morning glory

This is wonderful news.

I have Heard of it however, have never been to Purnell Restaurant. I have heard that Birmingham, U.K. is an up and coming city ..

The Michelin Chef establishments that I had eaten in 7 years ago are: Heston Blumenthal´s The Fat Duck in 2010 and on the same trip, in London, The Gordon Ramsay Maze & The Greenhouse, which has a French Executive Chef.

Chef Heston, is absolutely, truly incredible ..

Enjoy !!!!

Last edited:
I went through various spells of going on courses in Birmingham. Most of them were in Harborne, which is probably a bit far out of the centre for the purposes of this thread, but it you do venture that far, the Umami Indian Kitchen is a good one. In the Balti Triangle, Al Frash has been around for a good while and also has a good reputation.

My usual method of assessing restaurants in Brum usually revolved around looking through the window and seeing how many Asian people were eating there. Not an infallible system, admittedly, but it does give you an idea.

Well last time I went there it was buzzing - that was a few years ago for the Good Food Show - the centre of Birmingham also had a massive German Christmas market. Its the largest outside Germany

View attachment 9782
Yes, the German market is there every Christmas. I went once, but I can't remember seeing anything I wanted to buy.

Back
Top Bottom