Bizarre Foods Show

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
6:44 PM
Have any of you watched the show Bizarre Foods that is featured on the Travel Channel? Anthony Zimmer basically travels around the world and tests out some of the most strange food that locals eat and come up with. Some of it looks really good, but then there is the rotten, fermented, and spoiled foods he tries that make me want to gag. Has anyone ever had cooking inspiration after watching this show?

I've seen this show before. I think it was where I saw this Scandianvian "delicacy", which was basically raw fish that had been buried and left to rot for a month or so. They then dug it up and ate it raw! Ew! It's the survival shows that make me really want to gag though, especially when they bite into large insects and a load of stuff pours out. The things people eat!

I think I actually remember the episode you are referring too. There was also one that was taped...I want to say in Iceland, in which a family made blood pudding from cows blood. It was very gross and I would never try it, but it fascinates me the things people would consider normal to eat!

I think I actually remember the episode you are referring too. There was also one that was taped...I want to say in Iceland, in which a family made blood pudding from cows blood. It was very gross and I would never try it, but it fascinates me the things people would consider normal to eat!

Black pudding (a sausage made of oatmeal, fat and pig's blood) is lovely! Well, I think so and so does Night Train. Some people don't, but they are just weird.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding

It's a pretty normal ingredient in a British 'fry up' breakfast.

Black pudding, in my opinion, is something you either love or hate. I've never tried it myself and if it's being served as part of an English breakfast, I always ask to exchange it for an extra rasher of bacon. It is interesting to think of all the things which people eat around the world that make us gag. I wonder which of our regular foods these people would think was gross?

Arch, I love your avatar, it takes me back to my skint student days!

Black pudding, in my opinion, is something you either love or hate. I've never tried it myself and if it's being served as part of an English breakfast, I always ask to exchange it for an extra rasher of bacon. It is interesting to think of all the things which people eat around the world that make us gag. I wonder which of our regular foods these people would think was gross?

Before I married Night Train, in my last job, I had a pack of those noodles every day for my lunch. I worked outdoors in a physical job, so I needed something quick, hot and filling. Instant noodles (jazzed up with a slosh of dark soy sauce) hit the spot! And at 11p a packet, it was cheap!

I love black pudding, although I have a preference for a certain style, with very small pieces of fat, rather than the sort with big chunks of fat in.

It can be a lot more sophisticated than a fry up. It's often served fried up in chunks with apple, as a tapas dish.

My roommate loves this show but I have to admit, I can't bear to watch it. Some of the foods Zimmerman eats, just make me want to retch. I don't know how he does it but he sure does try anything. I have never gotten any inspiration from his show, that's for sure.

I would love to hear what we eat in the US that would make people in other countries gag, I am not sure that there is anything. I would be horrified if someone put blood pudding on my plate, that is just not my type of cuisine.

I would love to hear what we eat in the US that would make people in other countries gag, I am not sure that there is anything. I would be horrified if someone put blood pudding on my plate, that is just not my type of cuisine.

Some of us would suggest your type of chocolate, that's foul stuff!:wink:

The concept of cheese in a spray can is pretty offputting to most of us, but I think it's one of those things w'ed probably eat and feel guilty if we enjoyed. To be honest, it's the highly over-processed stuff I'd avoid, which I'd do anywhere. Most of your 'proper' cuisines are fine (and like our UK cuisines, borrowed from everywhere in the world anyway)

I think it's more a Canadian thing, but I can't quite get my head round Clamato Juice.

I'd be interested to see you try black pudding, if you didn't know what it was, you might like it. Often we are only repulsed by an idea, not my the actual flavour.

I know I would struggle to eat insects but that is only if I knew and could see them 'intact' in my food.

However, tripe, feet (duck, chicken, pig,) intestines, offal in general don't bother me at all, neither does most seafood.

Back
Top Bottom