Black Beans

Zyni

Veteran
Local time
9:10 PM
I have been using black beans instead of other beans in a variety of dishes. I've also tried using them to pare down the meat in some of my dishes. For example, I made a taco salad, and I used half as much ground chuck, and substituted black beans for the rest of the meat I would normally use. This created a very filling, tasty, and satisfying salad.

It is not only better for me, but it also saves money. Win / win.

I think black beans are very versatile. I have even seen them used in brownie batters. I also read somewhere that they are higher in protein and lower in fat than conventional beans. I am going to be making more things with black beans and also mixing them in the items I make so that I have more of a mixture of goodness with my beans. I think it is the way to go.

I absolutely love black beans. They have a great, slightly smokey flavour. Brilliant in chilli. Also, they make a visually beautiful salad with chopped fresh coriander (cilantro), finely diced red chilli, olive oil and lemon juice.

I have yet to try them in chili. My mother uses them for it though, and she says it's great. I wasn't sure I wanted beans in my salad, but for black beans, I was willing to try it. It's very good. Your salad sounds good too, morning glory.

Black beans are very versatile, I always keep my pantry stocked with beans in general, but black beans, have to be the ones I have the most of. My kids absolutely love black beans too! Their favorite dish made with black beans is black bean soup. I also use my beans to help cut food cost for my meals too!

I have to add them to my shopping list. I plan on doing more of the shopping this year. Pick up more of what I want and not settle for what's brought home. I can't say I am big fan but I rather like them in salad and that's because my son was adding them to his salad and I liked the added flavour.

Black beans are lower in calories than other bean types. Add them to your chilis and other bean dishes for reduced calories. Of course they are great in Mexican dishes as well, and are the beans that most people use. They are great in veggie burgers as well.

Black beans are lower in calories than other bean types. Add them to your chilis and other bean dishes for reduced calories. Of course they are great in Mexican dishes as well, and are the beans that most people use. They are great in veggie burgers as well.
Are they lower in cals?! I didn't know that! Off to check that out...

Last edited:
I'm confused about the calorie content of black beans. Here are two different brands of canned black beans (no sugar added).
1. BIONA ORGANIC BLACK BEANS
Ingredients
Black Beans, Water,
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 474kJ/109kcal

2. EPICURE BLACK BEANS
Ingredients
Black Beans, Water, Salt
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 240kJ/57kcal

I've used both these products and there is not much difference between them - yet one seems to be almost twice the calories of the other!

The last time I made black bean soup, I sauteed some chopped bacon, and then the veggies. Then I added the beans and some broth and cooked til soft. For seasoning, I included a little chipotle powder, which increased the smokey, firey flavor. It was a great lunch for these cold days.

Black beans are a lifesaver in our kitchen pantry. It can be easily substituted for almost anything. It is even good on it own, rinsed straight out of the can and simply stir fried on it's own with some garlic and green onion. Enjoy it over some rice. I've mixed it up with some leftover fried rice. It's maybe my favourite bean, with the exception of chickpeas.

I have been using them more in place of regular pork and beans or at least mixing them together,because black beans tend to be higher in protein, with less sugars and more fiber. They also add a different taste to a traditional baked bean recipe. I really enjoyed the black bean burgers I made. I found them very scrumptious, and I am sure lower in calories and cheaper than traditional hamburgers.

I use the dried black beans as well as the canned black beans in many of my meals. Beans and rice is one of my favorite meals, just add a salad and corn bread and you have a very filling inexpensive meal.

Back
Top Bottom