Black Gravy

Termyn8or

Local time
3:25 AM
Hopefully this is the right section for this. Black gravy was accidentally invented by Ma. Then we found out we like it

Salt a roast and cutup some onions. The onions go under the roast on the pot. They must ALL be under it or they turn to ash.

Start the roast as high, preheatd as the oveen will go. Uncovered with no moisure added cook it like that until the ourside of the roast is black. Then add some water and the carrots and celery. Move it around, get some of that black off the meat.

Of course lower the temperature and cook until tender. Then when done take it all out and hopefully you got black drippings.

Make gravy, but don't make alot. If you make too much it dilutes it. The thing is when it is black and not thinned out it is very flavorful d you actually use less.

These instructions - not a recipe, are necessarily vague because I have never done it. But it is exceptional gravy. Actually if anyone grasps what this is and wants to contribute to the technique that would be great.

One of the things to this is to not add too much thickener, instead cook it for longer for the thickening. And we like it if the onions are in the gravy.

T

Hopefully this is the right section for this. Black gravy was accidentally invented by Ma. Then we found out we like it

Salt a roast and cutup some onions. The onions go under the roast on the pot. They must ALL be under it or they turn to ash.

Start the roast as high, preheatd as the oveen will go. Uncovered with no moisure added cook it like that until the ourside of the roast is black. Then add some water and the carrots and celery. Move it around, get some of that black off the meat.

Of course lower the temperature and cook until tender. Then when done take it all out and hopefully you got black drippings.

Make gravy, but don't make alot. If you make too much it dilutes it. The thing is when it is black and not thinned out it is very flavorful d you actually use less.

These instructions - not a recipe, are necessarily vague because I have never done it. But it is exceptional gravy. Actually if anyone grasps what this is and wants to contribute to the technique that would be great.

One of the things to this is to not add too much thickener, instead cook it for longer for the thickening. And we like it if the onions are in the gravy.

T

You are basically braising a roast. The "black drippings" are the result of the Maillard reaction. Most cooks brown the roast in a hot pan first, then deglaze the pan, and cook the roast low and slow until tender. You Ma's way basically does the same thing, but in a rather unusual way, from my own experience.

As far as thickening, what you described is "reducing" the liquid. That makes it thicker, and the flavor more concentrated. If you want to make it even thicker, you can add a thickening agent, like a corn starch slurry, and bring it to a simmer.

CD

She does usually use cornstarch, I usually use flour.

From the roast itself there is not that much liquid to reduce.

If I try and not succeed I will succeed. I'll take pieces off the roast sliced small and fry the beejesus out of them in a pan.

T

She does usually use cornstarch, I usually use flour.

From the roast itself there is not that much liquid to reduce.

If I try and not succeed I will succeed. I'll take pieces off the roast sliced small and fry the beejesus out of them in a pan.

T

Either cornstarch or flour will work. A cornstarch slurry will work better if the meat you are using is low in fat. As for liquid, the water and aromatics (onions, carrots, celery) will be a fine base for your gravy. Once you gat that sear/char on your roast, put enough liquid in the pan to almost, but not quite cover the roast. If you cook your roast in the oven at 250F to 300F for a few hours, you will have a flavorful broth to thicken and turn into a gravy.

CD

Either cornstarch or flour will work. A cornstarch slurry will work better if the meat you are using is low in fat. As for liquid, the water and aromatics (onions, carrots, celery) will be a fine base for your gravy. Once you gat that sear/char on your roast, put enough liquid in the pan to almost, but not quite cover the roast. If you cook your roast in the oven at 250F to 300F for a few hours, you will have a flavorful broth to thicken and turn into a gravy.

CD

Thought I'd add that cornstarch is good when consumed at the time of making but if there's leftovers and it goes in the fridge, reheating the gravy will/can be gloopy. A roux is your best otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom