Black Pineapple!

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:27 AM
I really don't know what happened here. This is a tin of pineapple I rescued from the back of a cupboard. Its probably a few years old. The tin label had mostly turned black. I opened it anyway and discovered all the pineapple was black too! Funnily enough it didn't smell bad. Maybe I've discovered a new fermented delicacy? :laugh: Well, I'm game to taste most things but chickened out of this one.

I thought canned foods were meant to last a long long time. Anyone know what happened?

20190317_171410.jpg

20190317_171419.jpg

:sick: that doesn't look good!
I thought tinned stuff was supposed to (virtually) last forever if the tin wasn't damaged. Any dents in the tin at all?

Looking at the label though it might not be plain tinned pineapple....looks like some of the writing says colada and there's a picture of a coconut too....could it be Dole Pina Colada Mix? Not sure how that affects it going black though!

:sick: that doesn't look good!
I thought tinned stuff was supposed to (virtually) last forever if the tin wasn't damaged. Any dents in the tin at all?

Looking at the label though it might not be plain tinned pineapple....looks like some of the writing says colada and there's a picture of a coconut too....could it be Dole Pina Colada Mix? Not sure how that affects it going black though!

I think it must have been the Dola Pina Colada as the remnants of the image on the tin looks the same. Well spotted. There were no dents or damage to the tin.

From what I've seen on the topic, there can be a chemical reaction between the acidity of the pineapple and the metal of the can, but that assumes some exposure to air. It could be that a pinhole leak formed as the can started to deteriorate over the years, or maybe something along the seams.

At the risk of making this more horrifying than it already is, there's a story about someone who inadvertently ate something like this and ended up in the emergency room:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08...r-finding-fungus-like-substance-in-pi/6695712

I can understand the principle of cooked canned food lasting forever, but I don't know about raw fruit. The absence of air would prevent oxidation, but I don't know what other degradation processes would occur.

Sometimes it's hard to tell which is the serial(?) Number, and which is the expiration date.:geek: Canned food used to last for years. You could supposedly bake a tomato soup or spice cake in a soup can. Guessing cans today are made of cheaper materials than yesteryear, and possibly react with the elephants. Lol

I once had a can of pineapple turn that way! Without even guessing, I tossed it in the trash!! A small hole had developed & the juice had leaked out!! :sick:

I think the can of pineapple was exposed to heat for a long period up near the ceiling. I keep my canned goods in the lowest cabinet near the floor. It's cooler there, as heat rises toward the ceiling! No chance for any spoiled food!! :wink:

Use it as a pen & pencil holder, flameless candleholder, planter. Then it won't be a total loss. Lol

I think some air got in. I definately wouldn't try it.

Back
Top Bottom