Blender Recommendation

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
7:19 AM
...Or a food processor I guess. I am looking to buy a new blender as mine decided it has lived it's life. I want to be able to make purees, smoothies, dips, sauces, as well as blend and chop. Are there any really good machines out there, that do not cost a fortune, anyone could recommend for me?

...Or a food processor I guess. I am looking to buy a new blender as mine decided it has lived it's life. I want to be able to make purees, smoothies, dips, sauces, as well as blend and chop. Are there any really good machines out there, that do not cost a fortune, anyone could recommend for me?
You know, a stick blender (aka immersion blender) will do all of these things except chop (and its 90 per cent easier to wash up and takes up little space!). Plus, you can use it straight in the pan in which things, such as a soup, are cooked. Stick blenders are quite cheap. I gave up using a food processor a while ago and now use a stick blender and occasionally a mini-chopper if I want to mince things finely. But if you use a food processor a lot for cake-making or for chopping large quantities then I guess a a processor is better. I'm probably teaching my grandma to suck eggs here, as the saying goes!
Smart-Stick-Hand-Blender.jpg
chpper.jpg

Decide it's main use ,to me a blender is a liquidiser used for soup and smoothies and a food processed has multiple attachments and can chop shred slice and purée to name a few of its uses and the above stick or tab mixer is good for soups and emulsifiying sauces ,it's hard for me to choose ,we have all three and a food mixer

how many people/servings do you want it for?
I have a small one which is great but we have had to get used to it not processing anywhere near the quantities we were used to in the past.

For instance it can only process 1/2 cup of dried beans that have been rehydrated and cooked rather than the 1 cup that the old one did. That said we only really needed the 1/2 cup not the full 1 cup but it took the new food processor for us to realise that!

how many people/servings do you want it for?
I have a small one which is great but we have had to get used to it not processing anywhere near the quantities we were used to in the past.

For instance it can only process 1/2 cup of dried beans that have been rehydrated and cooked rather than the 1 cup that the old one did. That said we only really needed the 1/2 cup not the full 1 cup but it took the new food processor for us to realise that!

I have a family of 4, so amounts like a half a cup of beans and stuff would not do. I would have to do double work each time I used the machine to make a meal. I like the idea of a stick blender, but I do not think it would work as well for smoothies and stuff. I would be worried about splattering. At least with a blender you can contain all of the liquid to the carafe.

I have a family of 4, so amounts like a half a cup of beans and stuff would not do. I would have to do double work each time I used the machine to make a meal. I like the idea of a stick blender, but I do not think it would work as well for smoothies and stuff. I would be worried about splattering. At least with a blender you can contain all of the liquid to the carafe.
Stick blenders are usually sold with a tall beaker which contains any splashes if you are pureeing something very liquid, like fruit. If you don't have a stick blender I'd highly recommend it even though you may use a processor for chopping large quantities. You'll find that you can use it for many of the tasks that you mentioned, including pureeing beans - which can be done in the saucepan! And it saves so much washing up!

the hand blender (as I know them) is great, but it is not for smoothies. It is more for soups that are part pureed and still have a few lumps in them so the veg (or other stuff) is still recognisable.
We used to have one, but don't anymore and tbh I don't miss is.
I find the food processor much more useful and if I want something part liquising/blending, I just put half of it in the food processor.

the hand blender (as I know them) is great, but it is not for smoothies. It is more for soups that are part pureed and still have a few lumps in them so the veg (or other stuff) is still recognisable.
We used to have one, but don't anymore and tbh I don't miss is.
I find the food processor much more useful and if I want something part liquising/blending, I just put half of it in the food processor.
Are you meaning a stick blender as I know it, when you refer to a hand blender. There is no problem making the smoothest purees or smoothies with a stick blender. I know because I've done it! Demo here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trO9i0RTSQ4

Are you meaning a stick blender as I know it, when you refer to a hand blender.
in the picture above that you posted, the one on the left is what I know as a hand blender, because you use your hands to move it around the pan. If the pan is too big, it can take quite a bit to actually get everything lovely and smooth and in my experience if you wanted everything smooth, then you either needed to use the tall thin jug that came with it which was really easy to knock over, or it was quicker to use a liquidise (blender in USA). Of course the quality (and therefore expense) of the hand blender might have something to do with it, but mine was a kenwood one which were generally OK.

in the picture above that you posted, the one on the left is what I know as a hand blender, because you use your hands to move it around the pan. If the pan is too big, it can take quite a bit to actually get everything lovely and smooth and in my experience if you wanted everything smooth, then you either needed to use the tall thin jug that came with it which was really easy to knock over, or it was quicker to use a liquidise (blender in USA). Of course the quality (and therefore expense) of the hand blender might have something to do with it, but mine was a kenwood one which were generally OK.

Oh, ok. We are talking about the same thing. I know what you mean about doing it in the pan but I've got the hang of it now and it does save washing up! Also, I don't have space on the counter/lkitchen cupboard for a food processor so it used to be kept in the cellar, meaning that I hardly ever bothered to go and get it.

A food processor sounds like the best option for me because I need to be able to do a lot with it, and now that I think about it, chopping in the processor would be good too. Thanks for your help everyone!

Try THIS one!!

The Shred Emulsifier. It pulverizes, crushes, emulsifies smoothies and makes piping hot soups & sauces!

Shred Emulsifier.png

Back
Top Bottom