Recipe Blue Corn Tortilla Flats

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
5:22 AM
Blue Corn Tortilla Flats:

The following recipe works just as well for Yellow Corn Tortillas. Just substitute Yellow Cornmeal Flour and Grits.

Ingredients:

1) Blue Cornmeal Flour - 2 Cups

NOTE: Raw Blue Cornmeal Flour has been used here instead of a Harina nixtamalized Blue Corn Flour to obtain a grainier Tortilla. If preferred, substitute a Blue Corn Harina to produce smoother Tortillas.

2) Blue Corn Grits - 1/4 to 1/2 Cup
3) Butter - 2 to 3 Tbsp.
4) Blue Agave Syrup 2 Tbsp.
5) Lime Juice - 2 Tbsp.
6) Water (warm) 1/4 to 1/2 Cup

NOTE: The ingedients above will produce four 6 to 7" Tortillas

NOTE 1: Tortillas are native to the Americas and were originally made with Corn. Wheat Flour Tortillas followed after introduction of Wheat by European settlement.

NOTE 2: Traditional Corn Tortillas are made from 100% unaltered Corn Flours. Mass produced Corn and Wheat Tortillas use nixtamalized Flours (for example, Masa Harina Corn Flour). Nixtamalization claims to improve the nutritional value of flours by pre-soaking the Corn or other Grain in an Alkaline solution (Limewater is commonly used). Nixtamalizing grain softens the grain, making it easier to grind into a fine soft flour. It does not necessarily improve its cohesive properties as a flour dough. It is not a requirement to use Masa Harina for making Tortillas, etc.

NOTE 3: Bleaching Flour is not the same as nixtamalization. All flours bleach naturally with age, but commercially mass produced bleached flour is aged faster using special bleaching agents (benzoyl peroxide and chlorine gas). Commercial bleaching of flours strips the flour of many important vitamins and minerals for the purpose of producing a whiter flour for baking purposes.

NOTE 4: Lard or Animal Fat is often used when making Tortillas, but is not a requisite. Substitutes like Olive Oil, Vegetable Oils or Butter are OK, or just water.

BlueCornTortillas.jpg

Procedure:

1) Melt or soften the Butter.
2) Combine Warm Water, Lime Juice, Butter and Blue Agave Syrup in a bowl and thoroughly mix.
3) Add and mix in the Blue Cornmeal Flour and Grits.
4) Knead the dough, adjusting flour or liquid content, for a puddy like feel that is not dry or sticky wet.
5) Roll the dough into dough balls which will produce 5-7" Tortillas.
6) Press or Flatten the dough balls to form the Tortillas.

NOTE: It is not necessary to have a Tortilla Press. Keep in mind that Native Americans did not have these devices. Flat rocks worked fine - or press by hand, after dusting with dry flour to prevent stickiness (Just like rolling any dough). Today, the dough balls are placed between plastic sheets and pressed with the plastic being peeled away afterwards. This procedure can be very delicate and requires some care.

7) Heat a lightly oiled griddle and gently lay the tortilla on it (The Tortillas will be very delicate, so take care). When the Tortilla no longer sticks to the griddle, turn it over and heat the other side. Browning is OK. Remove and stack aside.

NOTE: Blue Cornmeal Tortillas are very crumbly and will break up, if care is not taken. While in the pan, cover with a paper plate and flip the pan and all. Then slide the flipped Tortilla back into the pan to do the other side.

NOTE: Tortillas can be stored, refrigerated in plastic zip-locks for about 3 or 4 days, but might be enjoyed better, if used the same day they are created.

This is the first time I've come across tortillas containing anything except flour, salt and water. Very interesting. Do the tortillas taste quite sweet, given the agave?

This is the first time I've come across tortillas containing anything except flour, salt and water. Very interesting. Do the tortillas taste quite sweet, given the agave?

Yes, they are sweet. And that was the idea. You can't fold these Tortillas like the normal Tortillas as they will break apart. They are good for covering with stuff. Oddly, I kind of like to just eat pieces of these sweet Tortilla Flats like a snack.

Of course, this was the first time I made any kind of Tortilla. It was an experiment, for sure. And despite the crumbly look of them, they turned out tasty in a way I had not fully expected.

I mixed some crumbs of one of the left over Tortillas in with my Oats this morning. Good.

I think tomorrow, I will fry a couple Eggs with Bacon, Sunnyside up and lay them down on top of one of the last Tortillas for Breakfast.

After my first foray with Blue Cornmeal and another experiment with Yellow Cornmeal, I found myself faced with the problem of the fragility of Cornmeal products as opposed to Harina products.

I did some digging, suspecting pehaps, that eggs would be a solution. Yes, maybe. Oils or Butter did not work to increase the cohesiveness of the finished Cornmeal products.

Oddly enough, to create products from Cornmeals to get that graininess that may be well known in products like Cornmeal Chips and Taco Shells, the trick appears to be to include for every cup of Cornmeal Flour, 1/2 to 3/4 cup Harina. I have not tried it yet, but I know there must be a solution to the problem as I have seen too many Cornmeal Products that are very solid and cohesive.

Folks who couldn't resolve this issue have inevitably produced recipes for what they call "Soft Breads" and "Cornmeal Mush." It's kind of like the joke I like to make about French Roast Coffee. The proud French, unable to admit that they burnt the coffee, hail it as a Roast Coffee. :D

Back
Top Bottom