Blueberry Season in Sudbury, Ontario! :)

Your favorite wild berry?

• Raspberries

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Blueberries

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Strawberries

• Blackberries

• All of the above

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

niemela23

Veteran
Local time
5:36 PM
Howdy to all!

'Tis the season, for blueberries, where I am in Canada! A glorious time when the secret swimming hole & rabbit paths become bordered with speckles of baby-blue berries, wild & ripe for the picking. Personally, as I have gotten older, I have started to pick to sell, as well as just for my self, and this years crops (which only last for a few weeks) have been the best we've seen in my area for 3 summers now, so I've been pretty darn busy, & pretty soon, during the days when it is rainy & cool enough to bake, I'll be busy making pies & jam.

So, I have a question for all of you ravenous foodies & berry-lovers out there:

Aside from jams, jellies & pies/muffins, what are your (or your family's) FAVORITE blueberry dishes or treats?

Back in to the woods tomorrow, I always remind myself to leave enough for the bears. :)

-J

I've never made blueberry jams, jellies & pies/muffins and have no source of wild blueberries where I live, but I do buy organic blueberries and love pancakes stuffed with them and home made yoghurt. The mutt loves them too :giggle:

Blackberries will be coming into season soon in the UK. We can pick those as wild fruits,. The rest of them I'd be surprised to find growing wild. Can you find all those fruits growing wiId in Canada? Fantastic if you can.

Our seaside apartment is located very close to "the land of wild rasberries" . We adore them as fresh and / or in preserves or marmalade or jam and as a syrup for our Crépes for Sunday Brunches. We also have wild black berries too as well, my 2nd fave Though I like all types of wild berries, these two are my faves.

We have a very tiny blue berry production. France is the largest producer in our región, just a drive through the Catalan Pyrénees.

Berries have very short shelf life and thus, I prefer to either eat the same day I purchase or to make preserves or marmalade or jam for our crépes from them.

Good post.

Have a lovely summer ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackberries will be coming into season soon in the UK. We can pick those as wild fruits,. The rest of them I'd be surprised to find growing wild. Can you find all those fruits growing wiId in Canada? Fantastic if you can.

I am in Ontario, so I can't speak for the rest of the country, but yeppers, it's a wonderful thing. All of the abovementioned wild berries grow well here. Different areas and different times, though. For example, the blueberry season will be ending soon, but raspberries follow closely after, as well as the blackberries. Wild strawberries have come & gone.

'Hawberries', the 'laughing berry', also do well not far from me. Manitoulin Island has a Hawberry festival each year, just like we have an annual Blueberry fest' here, in Sudbury. & then, about 3 hours away from where I currently reside, we have massive cranberry bogs! Muskoka/Bracebridge: cranberry land! :)

Last edited:
Blueberry muffins! I also like blueberries as a sharp sauce with game.

Nice, Morning Glory! I have been experimenting with the blues regarding savory dishes, I'd love to hear more... As well, I made a great blueberry vinegairette the other night. Stellar stuff. Great to dress kale with, I've found out!

Our seaside apartment is located very close to "the land of wild rasberries" . We adore them as fresh and / or in preserves or marmalade or jam and as a syrup for our Crépes for Sunday Brunches. We also have wild black berries too as well, my 2nd fave Though I like all types of wild berries, these two are my faves.

We have a very tiny blue berry production. France is the largest producer in our región, just a drive through the Catalan Pyrénees.

Berries have very short shelf life and thus, I prefer to either eat the same day I purchase or to make preserves or marmalade or jam for our crépes from them.

Good post.

Have a lovely summer ..

Oh, wonderful! Fresh is the best, indeed. Jamming & preserving is also a lovely way to use any berry. And crêpes! Wow... now I know what my breakfast will be tomorrow, thanks to you Franscesca! :) I haven't made crêpes in ages, and these blueberries deserve to be wrapped in something delicious.

Thank you, and I hope you have a lovely summer also!

Blueberries abound...so you had a good year? We had record rainfalls this year so I'm not sure how they are here in the Ottawa Valley...

Very much so! A great picking-season this time around! Lots of rain in my area (Sudbury) so far also. It has helped immensely!

I wish we had wild blueberries here! The season in the UK starts in July. The organic blueberries I get come from Dorset in southern England. They are gorgeous; much better than the supermarket ones.

We have cultivated raspberries, blackcurrants and loganberries in the garden, and in the woods down the lane the wild blackcurrents are ripening nicely, as are the damsons. I have childhood memories of wild bilberries.. They were heavenly in a pie. Blueberries we eat in fruit salad for breakfast sometimes.

I wish we had wild blueberries here! The season in the UK starts in July. The organic blueberries I get come from Dorset in southern England. They are gorgeous; much better than the supermarket ones.

Yes, I understand that completely. The blueberries sold in most supermarkets are often very large (some almost the size of large grapes!) & quite tasteless. Wild blueberries are much smaller, a lighter blue, & packed with flavor. I feel very lucky to live where I can pick buckets of the wild ones each year!

It's a lot of work, & you have to be willing to brave the sun, the horse & deerflies, the mosquitoes, the bears, the bending, reaching, crawling & kneeling, the scaling rock faces & climbing mini cliffs, lol... but in the end, it's all worth it. As long as you dress for the weather, pack a picnic & bug-spray, lots of water, & make a bit of noise to let the bears know you are around, a day of picking can be quite a pleasant thing!

And, they taste even better when you've picked them yourself. :wink:

We have cultivated raspberries, blackcurrants and loganberries in the garden, and in the woods down the lane the wild blackcurrents are ripening nicely, as are the damsons. I have childhood memories of wild bilberries.. They were heavenly in a pie. Blueberries we eat in fruit salad for breakfast sometimes.

Oh, yum! &, Logan berries... I have always wondered about those. What do they taste like, if the taste can be described?

I agree, blueberry pie is something else! It seems to be most people's favorite way of using blueberries. But, yum... in fruit salad is a great way also. They can be so sweet yet so tart as well!

Yes, I understand that completely. The blueberries sold in most supermarkets are often very large (some almost the size of large grapes!) & quite tasteless. Wild blueberries are much smaller, a lighter blue, & packed with flavour.
Yes. The organic blueberries I get are smaller and flatter than the ones from the supermarket. And the taste is simply gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom