Books vs Web vs Apps

zestery

Veteran
Local time
4:26 AM
I tend to find recipes online, and was using a couple of apps for a while there.

Do you find you use cookbooks less than you used to now that there are so many places online to find things?

I do look for recipes online now, but still use books too. The problem with online, as I don't have a printer, is that I either have to keep nipping to and fro to follow it, or I have to scribble it down off the screen!

I do look for recipes online now, but still use books too. The problem with online, as I don't have a printer, is that I either have to keep nipping to and fro to follow it, or I have to scribble it down off the screen!

Yeah, I've found myself doing that :/

I have a friend who uses her iPad in the kitchen with a stand, which is cool because she can look at YouTube videos while cooking. But it would make me paranoid.

I probably use my cookbooks less, as I do tend to pull recipes from the web, unless it's an 'old faithful' from one of my cookbooks. I don't really do technical, so I haven't got my head around apps yet - can't see it happening anytime soon, either!

I use the Internet for virtually everything but for recipes it depends what I have in books or time factor. With a quick Google search you can find something relatively quick.

However, in the past couple of years I was looking for some specific vegan recipes and I bought three different books. Not Kindle, the old-fashioned hard copy. I do have a Kindle with an easel cover but I doubt it would survive the ingredients, especially flour, over the long-term.

Maybe some old habits die hard but I love those hard copy recipes sitting upright on the cooking area counter while I put together a recipe. The pages get a little crusty and you can tell what recipes are my favorite - they have portions of the ingredients stuck to them - but they just feel right when cooking.

My business work is all Internet based so it's nice to go back and use the old, tried and true hardback recipe books. Besides, I inherited some church recipe books from my mother and you can't find those on Amazon or eBay. Those are priceless and so are many of the recipes.

I guess I use the internet for recipes I don't have in books - for example, right now I'm doing a lot of jams and jellies, and I have a fab new book of preserves, but it can't cover all the hedgerow fruits I'm hoping to use. So I'm using the book for blackberry and apple and so on, but looking online for rowan and hawthorn and rosehip etc

One good thing about internet recipes is if you find them on a forum, you might get some good feedback about how well it works, or things people have done differently and been successful. A physical book can only say so much and still be liftable!

Yeah, I agree that the feedback and comments on online recipes help, especially with substitutions and variations.

I also like the ability to look up three or four versions of the same basic recipe to see the commonalities, and so I can mix and match.

I have a pile of cookbooks stored somewhere in the house, along with loads of newspapers cuts and handwritten recipes that I collected through the years.

When I first started using a computer, I was enthusiast to transcript all those recipes into different software that I found through the years. Later I found that it was much easier simply search for a recipe and make a bookmark or store the recipe in a text file.

Since then (over a decade now) I put aside my cookbooks and nowadays it's all about search online and write down recipes in digital format, including many that you have shared in FoodiesChat :)

I love cookbooks because I love having something I can actually hold and touch but at the same time, I love websites like Pinterest that give you thousands of recipes at your fingertips.

I love cookbooks because I love having something I can actually hold and touch but at the same time, I love websites like Pinterest that give you thousands of recipes at your fingertips.

I have yet to figure out how to properly use Pinterest. My crafty friends all love it, but it sits on my iPhone mocking me :(

I like to visit Pinterest from time to time lured by the great cooking photos that people share, but I dislike the site sites that are made of Ajax technology, meaning that once that you scroll down, more pictures come into the scene.

This behavior makes annoying (at least to me) browse all photos, and if you are using your mouse to scroll down and the page has pinned too much photos on the wall, chances are that suddenly you are again in the top of the page rather that keep going down.

Sometimes I like cooking magazines just because they're fun to look at the pictures of the foods and it's just a nice group of recipes in one place. I use them if I have no particular ideas on what to make. Most of my time, however, is spent using the web- especially All Recipes. This is much more convenient if I know what I want to make, but don't know how or want to try a new way. It's also great to use when you have random ingredients - just search for recipes that contain them.

I like to visit Pinterest from time to time lured by the great cooking photos that people share, but I dislike the site sites that are made of Ajax technology, meaning that once that you scroll down, more pictures come into the scene.

This behavior makes annoying (at least to me) browse all photos, and if you are using your mouse to scroll down and the page has pinned too much photos on the wall, chances are that suddenly you are again in the top of the page rather that keep going down.

Oh god, I hate that. Almost as much as I hate slideshow articles. Grumble.

I see no difference in looking for recipes online or in books, both ways are really good. Online, you can even find reviews and comments about those recipes so you already know what to expect. Never used any Apps though, they might be a good idea too.

I only ever used book or website for recipes, I didn't even know there were apps for recipes! That must be very nice.

I must say I still like the good old books for cooking. Easier to get them to the kitchen when you want to prepare something, and easier to find it to when you need it. Looking online, you might have difficulties with the website or your connection, or something random. A recipe book is very trustworthy i find it so useful.

Back
Top Bottom