Boston Butt

ally79

Veteran
Local time
3:52 PM
We got a great deal on a Boston Butt at the grocery store today so we are planning to cook it all day tomorrow in the oven. We usually smoke them outdoors, but I am running low on charcoal. I can't wait for some delicious BBQ sandwiches and some Brunswick stew. :)

Interesting name for pork shoulder - had to Wiki it as a Butt is usually something else in North America :woot::woot:

I am in North America, but way down South. Everyone calls it Boston Butt down here...even in the grocery store ad! My kids are two and four and when we were prepping it we told them not to touch it because it was raw. Well, when it was done they kept saying they were going to eat "raw butt"...they thought it was the funniest thing ever.

Wish I could grill a Boston Butt, but it's so cold here that I doubt I could get the charcoal igniting, and certainly charcoal is the best option for this.

I used to get a chuckle at the name as well. I had never heard of it being referred to as "Pork Butt" up until about 10 years ago, when I was watching a show on Food Network and one of the chefs ordered one at the butcher counter. Prior to that they were always just labeled as "Pork Roast" in most of the grocery stores in my neck of the woods.

It would probably make more sense to simply refer to them as Pork Shoulders, since that's what they really are.

Back
Top Bottom