Bratwurst

pocofan

Local time
10:31 AM
Had bratwurst in Germany years ago. I have not found a bratwurst in America that comes close to the authentic brats. Anybody got any recommendations ?

Well, I'm spoiled, because I live in an area full of German butchers, so it's pretty easy around here.

National brands, though...not really. I don't know if you have an ALDI in your area, but they'll frequently get imported German brats - they come in a blue-and-white package (colors of Bavaria) and I've seen two varieties; regular and beer brat.

Other than that, maybe try to find an international market nearby, a smaller gourmet grocer, or maybe mail order. Somebody must sell brats through the mail!

Sometimes, the best thing to do is enjoy the memory, and then have fun exploring around, searching for something that may be different, but just as good.

Well, I'm spoiled, because I live in an area full of German butchers, so it's pretty easy around here.

National brands, though...not really. I don't know if you have an ALDI in your area, but they'll frequently get imported German brats - they come in a blue-and-white package (colors of Bavaria) and I've seen two varieties; regular and beer brat.

Other than that, maybe try to find an international market nearby, a smaller gourmet grocer, or maybe mail order. Somebody must sell brats through the mail!

Sometimes, the best thing to do is enjoy the memory, and then have fun exploring around, searching for something that may be different, but just as good.
We do have an ALDI. I will check there

Finding a German market my be hard in Alabama. I don't know who settled there. Texas has a lot of German immigrant areas, not Dallas, but it's a big city, so we have that one German market. I believe there are a few German immigrant families scattered around Cincinnati. :wink:

CD

I believe there are a few German immigrant families scattered around Cincinnati. :wink:
Just a few...:)

When we lived in SA, we used to go to New Braunfels for sausages and the last nice sit-down meal we had before we left was at some German place in Castroville.

pocofan - I just googled "Alabama German deli," and got back several results; Huntsville, Phenix City, Vestsvia Hills among them. May be worth a google and a phone call/road trip. :)

Finding a German market my be hard in Alabama. I don't know who settled there. Texas has a lot of German immigrant areas, not Dallas, but it's a big city, so we have that one German market. I believe there are a few German immigrant families scattered around Cincinnati. :wink:

CD
I grew up in eastern Iowa. I am 100 % German. My grandmother made plenty of German foods but sausages were not among them. My wife is 100 % Irish. We are a mixed marriage 🤣

I grew up in eastern Iowa. I am 100 % German. My grandmother made plenty of German foods but sausages were not among them. My wife is 100 % Irish. We are a mixed marriage 🤣
One of my best friends is the product of a German-Irish marriage. She says, "That means I drink way too much Dunkel, and then try to kick everyone's ass!" :laugh:

I bought some brats at Aldi today. Deutsche Kushe Bavarian Brats. I cook Johnsonville in beer, butter and onions then finish on the grill. Any recommendations on how to cook these brats. I’m thinking grill using indirect heat.

I bought some brats at Aldi today. Deutsche Kushe Bavarian Brats. I cook Johnsonville in beer, butter and onions then finish on the grill. Any recommendations on how to cook these brats. I’m thinking grill using indirect heat.
I think you could cook them the same way, or indirect heat would be fine. Sometimes, I simmer them in a big pan of sauerkraut and sliced potatoes, then toss them on the grill for a few minutes to crisp them up.

You have Piggly-Wiggly and Pick 'n Save down there, right? If so, check them for Usinger sausages, out of Milwaukee. Good German city, one point of "The German Triangle." I checked their website and they say they're sold at those two stores.

Back
Top Bottom