Bread Bakers Out There.

Elementalmage

Veteran
Local time
1:53 AM
I'm interested in starting to bake my own bread as I simply love fresh warm bread. But is it worth it and what kind of bread would you guys recommend for somebody completely new to this?

It is very definitely worth it from the knowing what is in your food point of view. It can be very quick and easy if you don't use the yeast options but use buttermilk and bicarbonate of soda for Irish soda bread which is by far the easiest bread I know to make, otherwise you have to prove your bread and then knead it again, which means you have to had made the dough, waited and then come back to it, wait again and then put it in the oven unless you get a bread maker.

If you want to try yeast bread, start with a simple white loaf, not the best nutritionally, but a good place to start from a baking point of view. After you make a couple of those, you can try whole wheat, half whole wheat, or other things like this. I personally was very into rye when I was still eating gluten. Rye has a very different, much stiffer and less "alive" feeling though. Probably wait to try that until you have a better idea what yeast doughs feel like when they are kneaded.

start with a basic white roll recipe,making bread is a learning curb ,the right amount of liquid how much to knead the dough,understand how the yeast works,and when the results are not quite right then why!and correct your method
every ones ovens are different so how long the rolls need to cook and how to tell they are done
good luck

I'm having huge fun with sourdough bread at the moment. It is much easier than I had been lead to believe and I have been playing again overnight. It is great because timing is not critical with sourdough and you can give or take half an hour quite easily. You can also bung the loaf in the fridge for prove overnight and then pull it out and warm it up, then cook it which is what I did last night. It is great fun experimenting with it and learning how to handle the really soft sourdough loaves as well as making the conventional sourdough dough that is much less soft and needs a good knead.

Back
Top Bottom