Bread Machine

janetsjunk1972

Veteran
Local time
6:51 PM
Back in the 80's & 90's, everyone had a bread machine somewhere in their kitchen. It was the thing to bake your own bread back then, even if it was from a box. hahaha Does anyone have one still and if so, do you still use it or is it tucked away in a cabinet somewhere? We ended up getting rid of ours because it took up so much space. I also didn't like how it made the crust so thick and hard. You get better results just using a regular bread baking pan.

Oh yes I remember those! I never had one but my folks owned one and used to love making break with it. I actually think that they still use it.
Thanks for the reminder, nice nostalgic moment I got there.

When I was a kid, my Mum tried to make bread by hand a few times, but she just didn't have the knack, and it never rose properly. She gave up.

Many years later, when all her friends were getting bread machines and raving about how good they were, she eventually decided to get one.

It blew up.

She gave up again.

I've never owned a bread machine, it is probably the one kitchen type gadget/appliance I don't have. I guess because bread doesn't sit well with me, I tested negative for celiac however I instantly get bloated and can't stop eating as soon as I have the slightest bit of gluten.

Has anyone successfully made gluten free bread with a bread machine? If so that would be something I'd want to try. I once made a gluten free bread from buckwheat - it was so dense and heavy as there was no yeast added. If a bread machine helps with rising a bread I think it would be worthwhile.

Everyone had one except me, lol! I have always wanted one, though these days I do not eat much bread. I am sure there is a learning curve with bread machines just as there is with any other appliance, just as baking in an electric oven is drastically different than doing so in a gas operated one. I had to learn how to regulate my rice cooker so the rice didn't end up sticking to the bottom.

I have a bread machine, but unless it is over 95 outside I use the dough cycle instead of the complete cycle.

I have one.

It was given to me, but I have yet to use it, which I plan to soon! The person who had it before me never used it at all! :wink:

:wink:
Breadman Bread Machine..jpg

Back
Top Bottom