Breakfast for a toddler

Christina C

Veteran
Local time
12:08 PM
I am running out of ideas to give my son. I give him porridge. I have tried given him some fresh fruit in his porridge but he didn't take to that. Any suggestion would be very helpful

toast could be an option, even a dippy egg (depending on his age) with toast soldiers to dip into it. My brother and sister loved that (I brought them up).
But I have never found that a child will willingly starve themselves, so if he is not eating, he is probably not that hungry.

Cinnamon toast, waffles, pancakes, bananas, yogurt. My kids love cinnamon toast and bananas at one sitting. I make them one piece of cinnamon toast each and half a banana between the twins. I make the 4 year old 2 pieces of toast and he eats half of a banana and I eat the other half of it.

When my son was a toddler he loved yogurt and Cheerios. If you mix the two together and give the toddler a spoon its also an awesome way to help them learn how to use utensils because the mix tends to stick the utensil even if they aren't holding it properly.

toast could be an option, even a dippy egg (depending on his age) with toast soldiers to dip into it. My brother and sister loved that (I brought them up).
But I have never found that a child will willingly starve themselves, so if he is not eating, he is probably not that hungry.
That's a very good idea toast and eggs. I haven't given him that in ages.

Cinnamon toast, waffles, pancakes, bananas, yogurt. My kids love cinnamon toast and bananas at one sitting. I make them one piece of cinnamon toast each and half a banana between the twins. I make the 4 year old 2 pieces of toast and he eats half of a banana and I eat the other half of it.
How would I make cinnamon toast? I gave him some cinnamon porridge before and he liked that. I am currently trying to get him into some fruit.

When my son was a toddler he loved yogurt and Cheerios. If you mix the two together and give the toddler a spoon its also an awesome way to help them learn how to use utensils because the mix tends to stick the utensil even if they aren't holding it properly.
I do that. I put a different yogurt into his porridge and he loves it.

How would I make cinnamon toast? I gave him some cinnamon porridge before and he liked that. I am currently trying to get him into some fruit.
Toast up a piece of bread in your toaster get it out and add a bit of butter smeared all over it and then dash on the cinnamon sugar mixture. After putting on the cinnamon sugar mixture I normally go over it again with the butter knife to assure that it is evened out over the bread.

For my cinnamon sugar mixture I just mix a bit of sugar with a bit of cinnamon and put it in a salt shaker. I have never kept track of how much sugar to the cinnamon, I just eyeball it.

Toast up a piece of bread in your toaster get it out and add a bit of butter smeared all over it and then dash on the cinnamon sugar mixture. After putting on the cinnamon sugar mixture I normally go over it again with the butter knife to assure that it is evened out over the bread.

For my cinnamon sugar mixture I just mix a bit of sugar with a bit of cinnamon and put it in a salt shaker. I have never kept track of how much sugar to the cinnamon, I just eyeball it.
That sounds so simple I thought it was something that I get in the shop. I feel really silly now. Thanks I am going to try that in the morning and see how it goes.

My inlaws make their own maple syrup, so I'm always on the hunt for good pancake recipes. My husband and I simply cannot eat Bisquick and call it a breakfast. We're both starving and headache-y within an hour. Anyway, I've played around a bit with different things, and finally created my own hearty pancake recipe. My kids love it. I have a 6 year old, 4 year old, and almost 1 year old. The baby has been eating these things ripped up from his high chair for about 4 months, without syrup. He LOVES them.

Then, depending on the season, I'll add different things to the recipe, like zucchini, acorn squash, or sweet potatoes. Pretty much any way I can hide extra veggies and nutrients in things, I'll do it. There's not a lot of sugar in these, and sometimes instead of cutting them up and serving them with syrup, I'll take two and smear peanut butter between them. Also good.

My inlaws make their own maple syrup, so I'm always on the hunt for good pancake recipes. My husband and I simply cannot eat Bisquick and call it a breakfast. We're both starving and headache-y within an hour. Anyway, I've played around a bit with different things, and finally created my own hearty pancake recipe. My kids love it. I have a 6 year old, 4 year old, and almost 1 year old. The baby has been eating these things ripped up from his high chair for about 4 months, without syrup. He LOVES them.

Then, depending on the season, I'll add different things to the recipe, like zucchini, acorn squash, or sweet potatoes. Pretty much any way I can hide extra veggies and nutrients in things, I'll do it. There's not a lot of sugar in these, and sometimes instead of cutting them up and serving them with syrup, I'll take two and smear peanut butter between them. Also good.
That is an excellent suggestion. I have never tried that before! Thank you for that!

You have been a great help. Thank you very much

You are welcome. Sometimes it is hard to come up with simple meals for toddlers. I find it hard to come up with lunch items for mine at times. I normally have left overs and I try to serve them left overs but they sometimes will not eat it.

Oh, yes, this is an excellent idea! My mom taught me how to make this when I was young! We rarely pull it out for a breakfast item, but I like to use it as a "poor mans" dessert because its only 3 ingredients and super easy to make. It's so delicious :)

Back
Top Bottom