Breakfast on Christmas morning?

For me its a full English and its the one big thing I miss most living outside of UK. For me its quality sage filled sausages (Lincolnshire's), good black pudding, fried tomato (this acidity helps the fat), toast, beans (that is the American influence!) good bacon (back) and not fried to death like many do over here! Mushrooms are a must which I slow cook and add a bit of pepper and Worcester to. Also good orange juice & tea. All served with HP brown . . . as for eggs, well its individual but a couple of good poached on the side is to die for!

Another big favorite is a Kedgeree but that is another forum altogether!!

Richard

A full English breakfast :highfive:

We didn't do anything special growing up but since we have been together we like to do something a bit special. This year we are having a warm buttery croissant then fruit, Greek yogurt and Greek honey.

In Texas, they are served with a bottle of Tabasco sauce on the side. A few shots of hot sauce, and down the hatch. And yes, some people do that in the morning.

Yes - Tabasco here too is pretty well always served on the side.

For me its a full English and its the one big thing I miss most living outside of UK. For me its quality sage filled sausages (Lincolnshire's), good black pudding, fried tomato (this acidity helps the fat), toast, beans (that is the American influence!) good bacon (back) and not fried to death like many do over here! Mushrooms are a must which I slow cook and add a bit of pepper and Worcester to. Also good orange juice & tea. All served with HP brown . . . as for eggs, well its individual but a couple of good poached on the side is to die for!

Another big favorite is a Kedgeree but that is another forum altogether!!

Full English is great. You mention the baked beans for breakfast which I did recently in another post and an American member replied that they found this an odd thing. So I'm thinking that putting beans on a full English might well be a Brit thing. Must start anew thread...

Kedgeree! I absolutely love it and have been meaning to post a recipe for kedgeree which I 'created' a while ago.

Full English is great. You mention the baked beans for breakfast which I did recently in another post and an American member replied that they found this an odd thing. So I'm thinking that putting beans on a full English might well be a Brit thing. Must start anew thread...
Yeah, that's very British, not American at all.

When my wife sends clients to the UK for the first time, she always recommends they try at least one FEB, and she leaves it at that, then the bet's on as to whether they mention the beans when they get back.

She's never lost that bet. Every client, after they say they tried it, will then wrinkle their nose and say something like, "...and there were beans, like, pork and beans from a can! On the plate! With the other food! No, really!"

:laugh:

We bought schnecken from the German bakery yesterday. I wrapped it and threw it in the freezer, and that'll be breakfast Christmas morning.

We're heading to my folks' today and I promised to bring some doughnuts, so I bought six extra. These are now wrapped and in the freezer and will also be out (along with the schnecken) Christmas morning:

Let's see...in no order because I can't see the photo as I'm typing...a blueberry glazed, a raspberry jam, a cream horn (sometimes called a French twist), a glazed croissant, a cream-filled long john, and a frosted cake doughnut.

a savory casserole -
slices of staled seeded rye
layered with smoked salmon & red onion
drown in beaten egg + havarti + heavy cream + creme fraiche + milk
sprinkled with capers + dill
smothered in cheese
baked.

a savory casserole -
slices of staled seeded rye
layered with smoked salmon & red onion
drown in beaten egg + havarti + heavy cream + creme fraiche + milk
sprinkled with capers + dill
smothered in cheese
baked.

That sounds wonderful - but for me it would have to be be lunch or dinner.

Traditional Dutch Christmas breakfast consists of Stollen (we call it Kerststol) with butter, a boiled egg per person, bread rolls, deli meats & cheese, fruit and tea or coffee.
Kerststol - Wikipedia

We're having Frysian sugar/cinnamon bread instead of stollen this year, with butter. And the rest of the traditional sides, just replacing the fruit by fresh orange juice.

Serrano and gruyere cheese filled croissant followed by greek yogurt, greek honey and strawberries washed down with a fruit smoothie.

Back
Top Bottom