Breakfast Polenta

I remember eating polenta with feta cheese crumbled on top and melted butter with some mild red ground paprika seasoning, it is totally yummy. This is the way my Grandma used to make it, she was Bulgarian, who lived with us in Croatia...and I use polenta as a side dish to stews or meat in any gravy, it is neutral enough and yet very tasty ...more recently I would cook it in plain water and skip the milk, adding just butter at the end to kind of soften it from the inside...my kid likes it with mlik and some even put cooking cream into it...I guess the plentiful variations make it such a great food! Grilled polenta, wowwww, that sounds delicious, will have to do that one day...

I guess so. I haven't thought about that. I'm not a big fan of grits. But, grits are a lot like polenta.

CD
You are right, I just consulted the online dictionary, grits is very much like polenta, but it needs some more cooking, whereas in the recent years, the fast cooking polenta or the instant polenta has made its way, I used it a lot, it is really done under 3 minutes and the taste is fine to me. I might have confused grits with griz, which is not corn at all, what we refer to as griz here is wheat grits, and is a favourite or very traditional babyfood or kids food, but also adult food, almost dessert like, boiled in milk, for 4-5 minutes or shorter and sweet...you could do cinnamon on it or cocoa powder or jelly or fresh fruit....

You can get polenta from Walmart or Bob's Red Mill online.

full.jpg

Here's my first evaluation of polenta for breakfast.

full.jpg

I added just enough half n half to wet the polenta, topped it with a tablespoon of butter and microwaved for two minutes.

I have never eaten polenta, except in tamales, before. So this was a quick and dirty evaluation to see how it behaved and tasted. By just moistening the polenta with half n half, it caked when microwaved. The butter added a sweetness to it.

Breakfast polenta as a fried cake with steak and eggs, isn't overly imaginative, but works to start the day.

full.jpg

Back
Top Bottom